Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

September 13, 2003

Ulster 33 - 6 Glasgow Warriors

Magners League match played at Ravenhill on Friday September 12th 2003 | No comments
Glasgow were rocked by fresh injury problems as their challenge was clinically swept aside at blustery Ravenhill.

Centre Joe Naufahu and Test prop Mattie Proudfoot were taken off with potentially serious leg problems, leaving coach Hugh Campbell with a major headache.

Glasgow were aiming to build on their solid, opening-day victory over Cardiff Blues - while the home troops were keen to atone for their unlucky defeat at the hands of the new Ospreys combination.

The Warriors line-up included Rory Kerr, who wanted to prove a point to the Scotland management after being omitted from the World Cup squad.

He switched from full-back to wing, allowing the return of Stuart Moffat to the No15 berth. There was also the first competitive start in 14 months for scrum-half Kenny Sinclair, deputising for Sam Pinder, who had surgery on a hand injury during the week.

But Kerr lasted only 39 minutes before being substituted by Sean Lamont. It appeared to be a tactical swap as Kerr did not look in any physical trouble.

Ulster, who were without five Ireland World Cup men, recalled former Dundee HSFP forward Tony McWhirter - along with international wing James Topping. They depended on their second-string half-back partnership of Adam Larkin and Kiaran Campbell in the absence of Neil Doak and David Humphreys.

Glasgow looked tentative in the opening session and it was no surprise when Ulster surged ahead - albeit with a controversial score. Larkin combined slickly with Scott Young before Campbell breached the defence to put Rowan Frost in the clear.

The visiting markers regrouped and it seemed as if Frost was held up, but after taking a long look, Welsh referee Nigel Whitehouse signalled that the try was good. Larkin added the conversion.

Glasgow remained under heavy pressure, but Calvin Howarth had a chance to pull back three points with a penalty from 40 metres. He struck it well, but the gusty crosswind carried it outside the posts.

The referee was forced to retire due to a leg injury in the 17th minute and was replaced by touch-judge David Keane. Stuart Moffat scored a drop-goal for Glasgow after a great drive by skipper Cammy Mather. Larkin and Howarth traded quick penalties before Ulster bagged their second try.

They were camped inside the Glasgow danger-zone for a long spell and the defence finally gave way to a surge, with McWhirter getting the touch. Larkin added the conversion.

Glasgow immediately sent on Lamont and the substitute should have claimed a try in stoppage time. They moved the ball out wide, only for Andy Hall to deliver a dreadful pass, which sailed in front of Lamont.

Under-pressure Warriors were reprieved seconds after the restart when Larkin sent an easy penalty wide - but he was quickly back in the groove to bang over two further chances. Having already lost Kerr and Naufahu, the departure of Proudfoot could not have helped their frame of mind.

Unsurprisingly, Glasgow were struggling in the set-piece and another Larkin strike from 30 metres snuffed out any prospect of a late fightback. Larkin completed the rout by converting Shane Stewart’s last-minute touchdown.

Report by David Kelso from The Scotsman

Referee N Whitehouse (WAL), replaced by D Keane (NI)
Attendance 5,660
Euan Murray
Simon Gunn
Matt Proudfoot
Andy Hall
Nathan Ross
Cammy Mather
Donnie Macfadyen
Roly Reid
Kenny Sinclair
Calvin Howarth
Rory Kerr
Joe Naufahu
Graeme Morrison
Jonathan Steel
Stuart Moffat
Lee Harrison
Graeme Beveridge
Paul Dearlove
Scott Lawson
Alan Bulloch
Sean Lamont
Rory Mackay
Match Substitutions
Off On
Joe Naufahu Alan Bulloch
Off On
Rory Kerr Sean Lamont
Off On
Matt Proudfoot Lee Harrison
Off On
Simon Gunn Scott Lawson
Off On
Kenny Sinclair Graeme Beveridge
Calvin Howarth Penalty
Stuart Moffat Drop

Add a comment to this article