Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the glasgowwarriors.com forum.

Search this site


February 28, 2004

Connacht 28 - 28 Glasgow Warriors

Celtic League match played at Galway Sportsground on Saturday February 28th 2004 | 3 comments

Alan Bulloch scored his fourth try in three games
A late try from centre Alan Bulloch helped Glasgow rub out a 16-point half-time deficit to grab a draw against Connacht at the Galway Sportsground.

The home side kept up their 100% unbeaten league record against Scottish opposition but will feel they deserved a win for their efforts.

They led 25-9 at the break through a brace of tries from wing Conor McPhillips and full-back Mark McHugh. But they paid the price for only adding an Eric Elwood penalty in the second half as Glasgow, inspired by replacement outside-half Dan Parks, ran in for three second-half tries through left wing Sean Lamont, full-back Glenn Metcalfe and the Bulloch point-clincher in injury time, converted by Parks.

The visitors led after three minutes as number 10 Calvin Howarth drove over a penalty from Connacht's 10-metre line into a strong breeze.

The home side's first foray into Glasgow territory yielded an immediate reply as McPhillips was put over in the 14th minute, coming in off his left wing to take Elwood's clever inside pass for his eighth league try, converted by Elwood.

Howarth slotted over a 21st-minute penalty to draw within one before Connacht lock Mike McCarthy made yards down the left flank, offloading for McPhillips in support to go over in the left corner.

Elwood missed with the conversion but cancelled out Howarth's third penalty on 29 minutes with two of his own on 31 and 35 minutes for an 18-9 lead.

Glasgow went further behind in first-half injury time when, with prop Euan Murray sin-binned, Connacht full-back McHugh touched down with Elwood again successful with the extras.

The Scots hit back after 54 minutes when Parks released free-running wing Lamont to score in the right corner. Parks had a hand in Glasgow's second try as well near the hour mark as Connacht prop Adrian Clarke failed to release in the Glasgow 22 and the visitors made 40 metres through Rory Kerr to find Metcalfe, who went under the posts for Parks to make it a four-point game.

Elwood struck his third penalty on 74 minutes but Bulloch, making a record 122nd appearance, slipped under the posts after a short Glasgow drive to set up Parks to convert for the stalemate.

Referee H.Watkins (WAL)
Attendance 2,300
Euan Murray
Scott Lawson
Andrew Kelly
Joe Beardshaw
Nathan Ross
Paul Dearlove
Donnie Macfadyen
Jon Petrie
Graeme Beveridge
Calvin Howarth
Sean Lamont
Alan Bulloch
Graeme Morrison
Rory Kerr
Glenn Metcalfe
Roly Reid
Simon Gunn
Andy Hall
Dave Millard
Sam Pinder
Lee Harrison
Dan Parks
Match Substitutions
Off On
Calvin Howarth Dan Parks
Off On
Paul Dearlove Roly Reid
Off On
Joe Beardshaw Andy Hall
Off On
Graeme Beveridge Sam Pinder
Calvin Howarth Penalty
Calvin Howarth Penalty
Calvin Howarth Penalty
Sean Lamont Try 
Glenn Metcalfe Try 
Dan Parks Conversion
Alan Bulloch Try 
Dan Parks Conversion
Posted by saintval04 on February 28, 2004 11:51 PM | Reply to this comment

Now, there's three Glasgow Grafters getting just reward: over that line, boys...

Posted by saintval04 on February 28, 2004 11:52 PM | Reply to this comment

Now, there's three Glasgow Grafters getting just reward: over that line, boys...

Posted by saintval04 on February 28, 2004 11:55 PM | Reply to this comment


Add a comment to this article

If you're replying to an existing comment, please use the 'Reply to this comment' link above the entry. This will display the comments in a way which is far easier for other readers to follow.