Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the glasgowwarriors.com forum.

Search this site


August 14, 2004

Leeds Tykes 34 - 3 Glasgow Warriors

Friendly match played at Headingley on Friday August 13th 2004 | 2 comments
Glasgow's season opened with defeat this evening. They lost a pre-season warm-up at Headingley, Leeds Tykes scoring five tries to nil.

It might have been worse. Leeds led 27-3 at the interval, but Glasgow's mixture of experience, youth, and club draftees dug deep in the second half. Only an injury time penalty try stretched the margin to 31 points.

Hugh Campbell, Glasgow's head coach, was far from unhappy. "We could take positives from the game we wanted to play," he explained. It was, after all, an opportunity for trying. "We experimented with different formats, different people," he explained.

"We really lost it in the second 20 minutes," he added. Leeds scored three tries in that time.

Glasgow responded with a far more aggressive game in the second half. For nearly quarter of an hour they were rarely out of the Leeds 22, and it was only in the closing 10 minutes that that Tykes threatened the Glasgow line.

That second-half performance gave the coach reason for optimism. "But it was disappointing that we couldn’t convert it in to points," he added. The closest Glasgow came to a try was when Calvin Howarth was cut down barely four metres from the line during the assault after the interval.

Positive points included the performances of John Beattie, the Scotland under-19 back-row forward who has a Glasgow apprentice contract, and Shawn Renwick, the Stirling County No.8.

Glasgow's only points were from a Howarth penalty goal, cutting Leeds to 8-3 in 18 minutes after a Duncan Hodge penalty goal and a Pierre Uys try. Three of the home tries were by back-row forwards – Uys, John Dunbar, and Richard Parks. The expectation was Tom Biggs, the left wing who squeezed in at the left corner.

Hodge converted two, and his fellow Scotland cap, Gordon Ross, added the goal points to the late penalty try. Two other Scots appeared from Leeds – Mark McMillan, the former Stirling County scrum half who this time last year was, ironically, figuring for Glasgow, and Gavin Kerr, the international prop. It was – after the match – time for old friend to meet.

Glasgow now have back-to-back matches against another English club, Sale Sharks – at Hughenden a week tonight at Hughenden, and at Edgeley Road the following Friday. The real rugby for Glasgow begins with a Celtic League game against Connacht in Galway on Saturday 4 September.

From Glasgow's official website

Man of the Match
Calvin Howarth Penalty
Posted by Timofe on August 14, 2004 06:11 PM | Reply to this comment

Photos from the game against the Tykes can be found here: http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s102/st11126.htm

Posted by Highlandbrave75 on August 16, 2004 10:14 PM | Reply to this comment

I heard that Stirling County's Shawn Renwick had a pretty good game at No. 8. Hopefully he'll do well in a number of games this season.

Add a comment to this article

If you're replying to an existing comment, please use the 'Reply to this comment' link above the entry. This will display the comments in a way which is far easier for other readers to follow.