Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

December 12, 2004

Llanelli Scarlets 38 - 22 Glasgow Warriors

Heineken Cup match played at Stradey Park on Sunday December 12th 2004 | 3 comments

Glasgow's lineout continued to cause embarrassment
Any flickering flame of hope that Glasgow may have had of progressing in the Heineken Cup was effectively snuffed out by a stronger Llanelli side, helped by Glasgow's own catalogue of basic and costly errors.

Llanelli kept their Heineken Cup hopes alive with a full complement of bonus points in a five-try victory over Glasgow at Stradey Park.

The home side ran riot in the final quarter after Glasgow battled back from 12-8 down at half-time to 15-15 after 50 minutes.

But from there on in it was virtually one-way traffic as British Lions assistant coach Gareth Jenkins saw his side take control.

For the Scarlets there was additional welcome news in the return of Wales hooker Robin McBryde for his first game of the season at this level following a worrying neck injury.

But Glasgow ended the game without one of their more familiar stars, Kenny Logan, who departed on a stretcher early in the second half following a nasty accidental clash of heads with Scarlets number eight Dave Hodges.

He was later released from hospital having undergone a brain scan.

Llanelli began the stronger, launching a series of sweeping attacks in the opening minutes as they signalled their intent to go after more than mere victory.

Having given themselves an outside chance of reaching the Heineken Cup quarter-finals with victory at Glasgow last weekend, the Scarlets were hot on the chase of a four-try victory that would bring maximum bonus points to aid their cause.

One of those early attacks led to a worrying moment for one of Welsh rugby's men of the moment, Scarlets scrum-half Dwayne Peel, who was floored by a heavy tackle and took several minutes to get to his feet while nursing a bang on his neck.

However, Peel continued and helped Llanelli claim the game's opening score.

It was a spectacular effort that owed much to the patience of the home side who swung the ball left then right and then back across the field where Tongan wing Aisea Havili duped the defence with some neat footwork before crossing the line.

Fly-half Gareth Bowen failed with a conversion attempt of that 10th-minute try and nine minutes later the fly-half found himself in much deeper water.

As Glasgow wing Gareth MacLure prepared to add his pace and strength to a promising attack, Bowen dragged him back and French referee Joel Jutge saw the indiscretion and promptly sent the Llanelli number 10 to the sin-bin.

Glasgow took full advantage of Bowen's absence, launching a great attack of their own and on this occasion Havili turned from hero to villain by missing a tackle on MacLure to leave the visiting wing on his way to the line for a try that levelled the scores.

After 29 minutes, Llanelli were celebrating a classic Stradey Park score. Glasgow fly-half Calvin Howarth sent out a loose pass which home hooker Matthew Rees latched onto just outside his own 22.

Second-row forward Chris Wyatt followed up, handing on to fellow veteran John Davies before the Scarlets moved the ball left where Matthew Watkins and Salesi Finau continued the move before the latter handed on to wing Tal Selley.

The left wing had two choices - he could either hand the ball on himself or back his own pace and ability from the Glasgow 10 metre line. Selley opted to go it alone, cutting inside before accelerating through the gap and beating what remained of Glasgow's broken defence.

Watkins converted, having taken over the kicking duties while Bowen was kicking his heels in the sin bin.

However, having seen Havili turn from hero to villain, Selley did not heed the warnings and was himself sin-binned after 38 minutes for deliberately knocking on during another promising Glasgow offensive.

Howarth punished Selley's indiscretion with a successful penalty attempt to take the scores to 12-8 in the home side's favour at half-time.

Glasgow took the lead two minutes after the break but their moment of glory did not come without a potentially major worry.

As wing Sean Lamont was touching down his back three colleague Logan was lying motionless 70m downfield having collided with Llanelli's former USA captain Duncan Hodges.

Lamont had latched onto possession after Logan and Hodges collided while competing for Llanelli centre Watkins' pass.

Hodges was also in the wars, being forced off nursing a head injury, to be replaced by Adam Jones.

But for Logan it was far more worrying as he departed on a stretcher after five minutes of treatment.

Fly-half Howarth converted Lamont's try but from then on in Llanelli got into the driving seat and stayed there.

Bowen kicked three penalties to take his side ahead before tries by Havili, second-row forward Vernon Cooper and Selley's second finished off the contest and ensured the Scarlets victory.

Replacement hooker Scott Lawson scampered over for a consolation score for Glasgow, converted by Howarth.

Referee Joel Jugte (France)
Attendance TBC
Man of the Match not applicable...
Kevin Tkachuk
Gordon Bulloch
Euan Murray
Andy Hall
Dan Turner
Andy Wilson
Donnie Macfadyen
Jon Petrie
Graeme Beveridge
Calvin Howarth
Gareth Maclure
Andrew Henderson
Graeme Morrison
Sean Lamont
Kenny Logan
Scott Lawson
Andy Kelly
John Beattie
Joe Beardshaw
Sam Pinder
Rory Kerr
Jonathan van der Schyff
Match Substitutions
Off On
Kenny Logan Rory Kerr
Off On
Gordon Bulloch Scott Lawson
Off On
Graeme Beveridge Sam Pinder
Off On
Andy Wilson John Beattie
Off On
Andy Hall Joe Beardshaw
Off On
Euan Murray Andrew Kelly
Gareth Maclure Try 
Calvin Howarth Penalty
Sean Lamont Try 
Calvin Howarth Conversion
Scott Lawson Try 
Calvin Howarth Conversion
Posted by Assistant Editor on December 12, 2004 11:56 PM | Reply to this comment

Disappointing result, although we had a great time this weekend. Also, sorry to see Jonathan van der Schyff didn't get a game - especially as the editorial team had to pay his taxi from Swansea!!!

Posted by John Kennedy on December 13, 2004 12:00 AM | Reply to this comment

Watched the game on Sky - and what is wrong with our lineouts? Why are they so complicated? It looks like Haulage is trying to initiate a quick "Strip the Willow"! Can we not just KEEP IT SIMPLE? When Llanelli were 5 metres from our line, they threw to 2, secured possession and scored. Its not fancy ... but it works!

Posted by hugh on December 13, 2004 07:59 PM | Reply to this comment

Don,t worry asst editor we are now being asked to pay for trips to Stobo Castle

Add a comment to this article

If you're replying to an existing comment, please use the 'Reply to this comment' link above the entry. This will display the comments in a way which is far easier for other readers to follow.