Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the glasgowwarriors.com forum.

Search this site


October 22, 2005

Bourgoin 16 - 3 Glasgow Warriors

Heineken Cup match played at Stade Pierre Rajon on Friday October 21st 2005 | 7 comments

Dan was a deserved Man of the Match, keeping his side in the hunt
Few of us expected anything much from Friday's Heineken Cup opener in Bourgoin, from a side so depleted by injuries, but the Glasgow Warriors were not about to go down without one hell of a fight.

They were unlucky to be trailing by three points at the interval and were unable to respond when the streetwise locals surged in the second half.

Possession and territory were even in the nervy opening sparring session with Bourgoin failing to make any immediate impact with their maul-and-drive ploys.

Glasgow were more keen to keep the ball moving through hands and they exerted some pressure with a superb touch-finder from Dan Parks. They stole the lineout, only to surrender the ball seconds later.

Young number eight John Beattie, one of the makeshift breakaway unit, was showing up prominently in the first quarter but tended to become isolated from his support runners.

The Warriors maintained their strong work and deservedly edged in front with a well-executed penalty by Parks.

Graeme Morrison, making his first full appearance of the season at centre, powered across halfway before finding Hefin O'Hare with a clever flip pass.

O'Hare was hauled to the deck, but his tackler prevented release of the ball and Parks was straight and true from more than 40 metres.

The Frenchmen were on level terms four minutes later as Benjamin Boyet replied with an identical score for a rucking offence just a pace or two inside the Glasgow half.

But it was the visitors who continued to look the hungrier outfit and the determination and direct running of Beattie was again underlined when he made promising ground from the back of a lineout.

He was brought down by flanker Aurelien Diotallevi, who was winded by the impact and had to go off for treatment from his medics.

Glasgow doctor Gerry Haggerty was also in action to attend to Parks following a head-knock, but the captain recovered quickly.

The drama hotted up in the approach to the interval with Warriors being denied a try by the TV referee - and Bourgoin snatching the lead against the run of play with the last kick of the half.

Colin Shaw had stretched the home defence with a tantalising chip to the right-hand corner. Morrison emerged from the pile of bodies with the ball, claiming the touchdown - but the replay was inconclusive and the score was refused.

Glasgow stepped up the momentum even further with John Barclay having a tilt at the line, only to be penalised for a late tackle shortly afterwards.

Bourgoin failed to clear their lines, giving Shaw a chance to break into the danger zone.

But this time the ball was turned over, allowing the home defenders to boot the ball to the other end of the ground. Prop Kevin Tkachuk was spotted impeding a rival chaser and to the frustration of the visitors Boyet landed the kick.

The strike acted as a spur to the locals and they stepped up the tempo after the restart. Boyet launched a long-range drop-goal attempt which crashed back from the junction of post and crossbar.

Then Glasgow suffered a significant double setback. First, Beattie limped off with a damaged leg after a collision and was replaced by Gregor Hayter.

And six minutes later Bourgoin manufactured a try which stemmed from a lethal break by Boyet. He fired out a long and looping pass to winger David Janin, who had time and space to cruise to the target. Boyet added the conversion.

There was another alarm for the Warriors when the pacy Janin latched on to a pass from O'Hare and appeared to win the race to the corner. This time Glasgow received the benefit of the doubt on the screen rerun.

The Scots were still earning plenty of possession in the midfield areas, but never looked like putting any real pressure on the Bourgoin defence.

And their prospects of mounting a late fightback were effectively snuffed out when substitute Nic Carmona confidently thumped over a penalty just two minutes after entering the fray.

Match report from Sporting Life.

Referee Dave Pearson (England)
Attendance 6,376
Man of the Match The guys all laid their bodies on the line for this game, but special mention must go to Bevvy, Dan, and the fastest hooker in the Northern Hemisphere (although Fergus Thomson might have something to say about that!), Scott Lawson
Kevin Tkachuk
Scott Lawson
Lee Harrison
Tim Barker
Craig Hamilton
Paul Dearlove
John Barclay
John Beattie
Graeme Beveridge
Dan Parks
Andy Craig
Andrew Henderson
Graeme Morrison
Hefin O'Hare
Colin Shaw
Fergus Thomson
Stuart Corsar
Gregor Hayter
Dan Turner
Sam Pinder
Colin Gregor
Graydon Staniforth
Match Substitutions
Off On
John Beattie Gregor Hayter
Off On
Graeme Beveridge Sam Pinder
Off On
Scott Lawson Fergus Thomson
Off On
Kevin Tkachuk Stuart Corsar
Off On
Colin Shaw Graydon Staniforth
Off On
Craig Hamilton Dan Turner
Off On
Dan Parks Colin Gregor
Off On
Lee Harrison Kevin Tkachuk
22 minsDan Parks Penalty
Posted by ballinj on October 24, 2005 05:23 PM | Reply to this comment

Could have, should have won the game.

Was at the game and sitting in line when Morrison touched down. Definitely a try though, given that there wasn't a camera near that goal line not surprised wasn't given.

Glasgow have to start believing that they can win a game right from the start. A bit more belief especially in the midfield would go a long way - too often the ball was passed down the line allowing Bourgoin to close down. The few times someone took the responsibility to attack Bourgoin we looked dangerous and certainly were the only team likely to score a try.

Great atmosphere really passionate - was more like being at a football game than a rugger match.

Posted by Weegie on October 24, 2005 11:54 PM | Reply to this comment

Didn't look like the ball reached the line on the SKY television replay.

Posted by Gordon on October 25, 2005 11:05 AM | Reply to this comment

Haven't seen the video yet, and we were at the other end of the pitch, but a couple of Glasgow players thought that the ball was just short of the line.

Incidently, how on earth did Scott Lawson get back to save that try in the other video incident?

Posted by hugues on October 25, 2005 11:38 AM | Reply to this comment

Hope you had a great time in France,
A shame, the warriors are close to something...
Cross the fingers for next games

Posted by vicki on October 25, 2005 11:39 AM | Reply to this comment

There can't be many hookers who would have beaten the Bourgoin winger back to the line! And there can't be many supporters who were able to use the chant "Our hooker's faster than your winger!"

Posted by Gordon on October 25, 2005 12:13 PM | Reply to this comment

We had a great time Hugues - even managed a wee trip to Geneva on the Sunday. Hope you'll be joining us at a game sometime over Christmas/New year.

Posted by hugues on October 25, 2005 12:22 PM | Reply to this comment

A shame, i'm leaving Scotland the night after the game, so no chance to go, having some pints and drive the family home.
Even the french take the habit of not drinking and driving...
I'm looking forward to seeing Glasgow reaching the european level.
Let Glasgow flourish

Add a comment to this article

If you're replying to an existing comment, please use the 'Reply to this comment' link above the entry. This will display the comments in a way which is far easier for other readers to follow.