Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

October 01, 2005

Edinburgh Gunners 28 - 12 Glasgow Warriors

Celtic League match played at Murrayfield on Friday September 30th 2005 | 5 comments

Calvin Howarth was stretchered from the field with a suspected broken leg
The Gunners stepped up their Celtic League title charge by completing a clinical demolition job on their injury and illness-ravaged derby rivals at Murrayfield.

And to compound Glasgow's misery, full back Calvin Howarth was stretchered off in the dying seconds with a suspected broken leg and looks certain to be sidelined for the Heineken Cup campaign.

The odds had been stacked against the Warriors after several squad members were struck down by a mystery throat and stomach virus.

And despite a bright start, they could find no answer to the pace, power and poise of the home side as they leaped to the top of the table - but the Howarth departure was the real sickener.

Frustrated Glasgow chief Hugh Campbell was forced to field a makeshift pack for the crucial showdown and within just three minutes they were trailing as Gunners skipper Chris Paterson thumped over a 45-metre penalty for offside after a chip by visiting captain Dan Parks.

Edinburgh continued to have the better of the lively early exchanges, but it was the Warriors who bagged the first touchdown to earn an injection confidence.

The home marking at a line-out was totally deceived by Scotty Lawson's quick throw to Gregor Hayter at the front.

Hayter, making his full debut since moving from Italy, rumbled to two metres short of the target, where he was blocked.

But he had the presence of mind to seek out Lawson hurtling up on his shoulder and the Test hooker gleefully finished off in style.

Parks struck the wide-angled conversion beautifully - only to grimace in frustration as it crashed back off the upright.

Edinburgh replied in positive fashion with a powerful surge by lock Ally Kellock. The Warriors were pressured into entering the ruck illegally and Paterson made easy work of the kick from dead in front.

That was the cue for the Gunners to add a further scoring spurt which effectively snuffed out the hopes of Glasgow.

Paterson had luck on his side midway through the half when a drop-goal bid skimmed over the right side of the bar.

Then, just a minute later, they created an excellent forwards' try. The Warriors worries began after Rory Lamont felled Phil Godman with a high challenge.

From the penalty line-out, veteran Scotland lock Scott Murray galloped through in the wake of a slick one-two with flanker Simon Cross. Paterson added the extras to open up an 11-point gap.

Edinburgh remained in control, but Glasgow should have clawed their way back into it when a strong maul got to within a couple of paces of the target - but they messed it up in the final few seconds.

Even worse was to come for the visitors when they handed the Gunners seven more points in stoppage time before the break.

Again, Glasgow seemed to have the upper hand after a spill by Simon Taylor.

But they lost a soft turnover themselves, allowing alert scrum-half Rory Lawson to scamper to the try zone from almost 60 metres. Dead-eye Paterson landed another great kick to put his team in easy street.

Warriors gave themselves a glimmer of hope 12 minutes from the end when Parks put Graeme Morrison through a gap before providing the scoring pass for Andy Craig.

Parks converted - but any prospect of a dramatic fightback was dashed as young centre Rob Dewey enhanced his growing reputation by muscling over after fine work by Ally Hogg.

Edinburgh then went flat out for the precious bonus point and Hogg was denied inches from the target.

The spotlight then fell on the distraught Howarth, who was rushed to hospital for scans.

Referee Simon McDowell (Ireland)
Attendance 2502
Kevin Tkachuk
Scott Lawson
Lee Harrison
Tim Barker
Dan Turner
Gregor Hayter
Andy Wilson
John Beattie
Sam Pinder
Dan Parks
Mike Roberts
Scott Barrow
Andy Craig
Rory Lamont
Calvin Howarth
Fergus Thomson
Stuart Corsar
Craig Hamilton
Paul Dearlove
Graeme Beveridge
Hefin O'Hare
Graeme Morrison
Match Substitutions
Off On
Scott Barrow Graeme Morrison
Off On
Dan Turner Craig Hamilton
Off On
Sam Pinder Graeme Beveridge
Off On
Kevin Tkachuk Stuart Corsar
Off On
Scott Lawson Fergus Thomson
Off On
John Beattie Paul Dearlove
Off On
Mike Roberts Hefin O'Hare
8 minsScott Lawson Try 
69 minsAndy Craig Try 
69 minsDan Parks Conversion
Posted by vicki on October 1, 2005 12:23 PM | Reply to this comment

Best wishes to Calvin, hope the injury isn't as bad as we fear!

Posted by Go Team Lamont on October 1, 2005 02:28 PM | Reply to this comment

I second that, Hope to see you back in the game soon Calvin

Posted by Kylz on October 1, 2005 05:54 PM | Reply to this comment

Wishing you a speedy recovery Calvin, hope to see you back playing again soon! :)

Posted by garyipa on October 2, 2005 04:33 PM | Reply to this comment

That was pretty grim best wishes

Posted by ray on October 4, 2005 11:57 AM | Reply to this comment

What is going on where the two best teams in Scottish rugby (featuring a large number of internationals)can only attract 2500 spectators?

Add a comment to this article

If you're replying to an existing comment, please use the 'Reply to this comment' link above the entry. This will display the comments in a way which is far easier for other readers to follow.