Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

September 29, 2006

Edinburgh Gunners 14 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

Celtic League match played at Murrayfield on Friday September 29th 2006 | 2 comments

Dan was named Man of the Match for his performance as substitute full-back
It was a case of so close, yet so far for the Glasgow Warriors as they were left with only a bonus point from their encounter with local rivals, Edinburgh.

Glasgow Warriors came tantalising close to beating the newly christened Edinburgh Rugby at Murrayfield tonight in a scrappy match that came right down to the wire with the capital side claiming the 14-9 victory in the dying minutes of the game. The Warriors forced the opposition to play as best as they could in the closely fought battle which in the end boiled down the bonus point loss for Glasgow.

Ally Hogg was at the centre of a major injury scare as Edinburgh scrambled their way to a scrappy Magners League triumph at rain-lashed Murrayfield.

The Scotland breakaway forward was taken off in agony with an injured arm during the second half - and could face a race to be fit for the start of their Heineken Cup campaign next month.

Hugo Southwell came off the bench to rescue the capital brigade, who had been in danger of being mugged by the Warriors.

But his clinching try was tinged with controversy as the ball seemed to squirm from his grasp a split second before it was grounded.

Conditions were dreadful in the build-up to the kick-off, so it was hardly surprising the opening exchanges were full off basic mistakes.

Edinburgh were the first side to look settled, but they could not turn pressure into immediate points.

Visiting stand-off Colin Gregor hit back for the Warriors with a beautifully weighted up-and-under which put full-back Ben Cairns in a panic.

The youngster spilled the ball, which appeared to go forward, but referee Malcolm Changleng waved play on to the disgust of Glasgow's attackers.

And Simon Webster was allowed to mop up the danger with a dash up to the halfway line.

Centre Rob Dewey set up Edinburgh's most threatening raid to date, but he lost his footing on the greasy turf as he scorched into the 22 zone.

They maintained the momentum and edged in front in the 15th minute thanks to a 40-metre penalty by skipper Chris Paterson when the Glasgow back line sneaked offside in defence.

Scrum-half Mikey Blair then set up the first clear-cut try opportunity for the capital troops.

His chip into the danger area was perfectly judged, but Glasgow full-back Sean Marsden marginally won the race with Webster for the crucial first touch.

There was then a similar scenario at the other end when Warriors centre Andy Henderson lobbed the ball into space.

Winger Thom Evans set off in pursuit, but Paterson got there first - though he was forced to knock on when harried by his marker.

There was more Glasgow frustration two minutes later when the speedy Evans thought he had scored - but Changleng ruled a forward pass from Gregor.

Having weathered the storm, Edinburgh burst back up field with Phil Godman sending a drop-goal attempt narrowly wide of the target.

There was still time before the break for Paterson to confidently bang over penalty number two to give the home side a six-point advantage.

The Warriors came out for the restart with all guns blazing and within 10 minutes they were back on level terms.

Gregor broke their duck with a smart drop-goal following a powerful free-kick surge by Johnny Beattie.

Then substitute full-back Dan Parks slotted a penalty when Edinburgh were guilty of deliberately slowing the ball down in the wake of a great run by Andy Henderson.

Parksy repeated the feat after Duncan Hodge had obstructed Gregor - only for Edinburgh to seize back the initiative with Hugo Southwell's touchdown.

And Hodge completed Glasgow's night of misery by clipping over a drop-goal in stoppage time.

Referee Malcolm Changleng (Scotland)
Attendance 4,342
Justin Va'a
Fergus Thomson
Euan Murray
Andy Newman
Alastair Kellock
Andy Wilson
John Barclay
John Beattie
Graeme Beveridge
Colin Gregor
Thom Evans
Andrew Henderson
Graeme Morrison
Hefin O'Hare
Sean Marsden
Scott Lawson
Kevin Tkachuk
Dan Turner
Donnie Macfadyen
Scott Barrow
Dan Parks
Ben Addison
Match Substitutions
Off On
Sean Marsden Dan Parks
Off On
Fergus Thomson Scott Lawson
Off On
Euan Murray Kevin Tkachuk
Colin Gregor Drop
Dan Parks Penalty
Dan Parks Penalty
Posted by sunday5 on September 30, 2006 02:16 AM | Reply to this comment

On a brighter note, Evans was all over Patterson. His pace is still the best in Scotland.

Posted by vicki on September 30, 2006 01:29 PM | Reply to this comment

On another brighter note, it was good to see Scott Lawson back in the squad and playing.

Add a comment to this article

If you're replying to an existing comment, please use the 'Reply to this comment' link above the entry. This will display the comments in a way which is far easier for other readers to follow.