Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the glasgowwarriors.com forum.

Search this site


May 14, 2007

Munster 38 - 20 Glasgow Warriors

Celtic League match played at Musgrave Park on Saturday May 12th 2007 | No comments

Graeme Morrison went over for a try
Munster brought high-flying Glasgow back down to earth at Musgrave Park, outscoring the Scots by five tries to two to take a 38-20 victory.

Two of those tries went to flanker Alan Quinlan who looked hungry for work ahead of Ireland's tour to Argentina later this month.

Centre Lifeimi Mafi got the scoring underway with a 16th-minute touchdown, while Denis Leamy, Shaun Payne and an Alan Quinlan double completed Munster's try haul.

With Glasgow's attacking threats largely nullified and little but pride to play for after a poor first half, two penalties from league top scorer Dan Parks were all the visitors had to show for their efforts until John Beattie and Graeme Morrison got over for two late tries.

The competitiveness of this tie belied the fact that the sides were only scrapping for a top-six finish. Aiming for their fifth straight win, Glasgow travelled with some well-founded confidence - Sean Lineen's men had beaten the three other Irish provinces plus the title-winning Ospreys in their previous four games.

Add in the fact that the Scots had overturned Munster in their previous three encounters, including a three-try 21-10 win at Thomond Park in October, and the hosts had plenty of reason for revenge.

It was just over a year ago that Munster were preparing for a Heineken Cup final and while this season had been largely one to forget, the performances of Mafi and home debutant Denis Hurley, who slotted in well, at full-back will give coach Kidney hope for the future.

The match could well have had a different outcome had Glasgow turned early pressure into points. Their pack were within range of the Munster line on the quarter-hour mark, but a quick turnover and a five-man move, begun by Ronan O'Gara under his posts, led to Mafi's excellent score.

O'Gara converted and while Parks landed his first kick soon after, a tide of Munster pressure led to Glasgow leaking a further ten points before the interval, with Quinlan being mauled over for his first try.

Parks opened the scoring in the second half, pinging over another penalty, but Munster put the result beyond doubt with two tries close to the hour mark.

Their third try of the evening was the most noteworthy as Hurley started it from the rear, linking well with replacement Mossie Lawlor, and some great continuity led to Quinlan notching his second of the evening. Leamy added some gloss with his seventh try of the season.

You can see photos from the game here

Referee H Watkins (Wales)
Attendance 6,000
Justin Va'a
Scott Lawson
Moray Low
Andy Newman
Alastair Kellock
Steve Swindall
Donnie Macfadyen
John Beattie
Graeme Beveridge
Dan Parks
Thom Evans
Scott Barrow
Graeme Morrison
Rory Lamont
Francisco Leonelli
Fergus Thomson
Kevin Tkachuk
James Eddie
Andy Wilson
John Barclay
Colin Gregor
Hefin O'Hare
Match Substitutions
Off On
Scott Lawson Fergus Thomson
Off On
Justin Va'a Kevin Tkachuk
Off On
Graeme Beveridge Colin Gregor
Off On
Francisco Leonelli Hefin O'Hare
Off On
Steve Swindall Andy Wilson
Off On
Andy Newman James Eddie
Off On
Donnie Macfadyen John Barclay
Dan Parks Penalty
Dan Parks Penalty
John Beattie Try 
Colin Gregor Conversion
Graeme Morrison Try 
Dan Parks Conversion

Add a comment to this article