Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the glasgowwarriors.com forum.

Search this site


September 22, 2007

Cardiff Blues 32 - 16 Glasgow Warriors

Celtic League match played at Arms Park on Friday September 21st 2007 | 6 comments

James Eddie's excellent long-range effort was one of Glasgow's few highlights in Cardiff
In the shadow of the World Cup, Glasgow Warriors were kept in the dark as the Cardiff Blues extended their lead in the Magners League with a comfortable victory last night.

They extended their record-breaking run of home victories at Cardiff Arms Park with a five-try demolition of a side on which great expectations have been placed this season.

It helped that this was a third game for the Welsh region, a season's first for Glasgow, but in that short space of time the Blues have already made a major statement about their league intentions.

Warriors got the ideal start after two minutes when full-back Bernardo Stortoni's break into the Cardiff half leading to a penalty converted by Colin Gregor.

Cardiff showed their intent by turning down a goalkicking chance to kick to the corner, and were rewarded when hooker Gareth Williams was driven over for the opening try.

Glasgow had a golden opportunity when captain Alastair Kellock charged down a kick deep in Cardiff territory, and home full-back Nick MacLeod fumbled, but flanker Richie Vernon failed to ground the ball.

That missed opportunity would cost Glasgow dear as the game ran away from them just before half-time. First the Blues broke from deep and Stortoni was sin-binned for a high tackle just inside Warriors' half. Blues outside-half Nicky Robinson landed the penalty, but worse was to come.

Another Blues breakout saw MacLeod burst clear, hand on to Robinson and his kick forward put wing Jamie Roberts in the clear. He gathered to score, Robinson converting from touch.

The Warriors also lost one of their most potent attacking threats in wing Thom Evans, but two more long-range penalties from Gregor did keep them in touch at half-time.

The second half did not begin any better, with the power of 17-stone wing Roberts bringing two home tries in the opening five minutes. First he sucked in the defence with a powerful surge to create space for MacLeod to score, then he grabbed a try himself after being worked free from a turnover and brushing off opposite number Max Evans. That brought up a bonus point and it was effectively game over with more than half an hour to go.

There has been many a time that Glasgow sides away from home would have folded at that point, but this side was made of sterner stuff. Replacement Flanker James Eddie showed real pace to sprint over from his own half after Cardiff spilled the ball.

That brought the Warriors within sight of a bonus point but that was denied, even though the Blues had only 13 men at one point when lock Robert Sidoli and centre Tal Selley were both sin-binned, but only after Selley had scored his side's fifth try.

Report from The Herald

Referee Peter Fitzgibbon (Ireland)
Attendance 5,425
Michael Collins
Eric Milligan
Moray Low
Andy Newman
Alastair Kellock
Steve Swindall
Richie Vernon
John Beattie
Chris O'Young
Colin Gregor
Thom Evans
Daryl Gibson
Graeme Morrison
Max Evans
Bernardo Stortoni
Pat MacArthur
Ed Kalman
Dan Turner
James Eddie
Sam Pinder
Scott Barrow
Hefin O'Hare
Match Substitutions
Off On
Moray Low Ed Kalman
Off On
Andy Newman Dan Turner
Off On
Thom Evans Hefin O'Hare
Off On
Chris O'Young Sam Pinder
Off On
Ed Kalman Pat MacArthur
Off On
Daryl Gibson Scott Barrow
Off On
Steve Swindall James Eddie
Colin Gregor Penalty
Colin Gregor Penalty
Colin Gregor Penalty
James Eddie Try 
Colin Gregor Conversion
Posted by ballinj on September 22, 2007 06:46 PM | Reply to this comment

Watched this game online and was shocked at how poor Glasgow were. What was more disappointing was that they didn't seem to care.

Only real surprise was that Cardiff didn't score more points as they never let Glasgow have the ball and the times when Glasgow did have the ball they promptly handed it straight back. Really really poor.

Hate listening to Jonathan Davies slagging off Scottish rugby but on this performance it was very much deserved.

Really thought Glasgow had a shot at Top 3 position this year, on this performance not being last would be a result.

Report card reads need to do better and fast

Posted by Alistair on September 22, 2007 08:22 PM | Reply to this comment

Our lack of strength in the front-row whilst the internationals is away totally denudes our pack of it's strength. Va'a, Tkatchuk, Ford are all prominent in the loose. Without them we are lacking ball carriers and ruck clearers.

It's going to be a different story once the internationals come back but it's going to be another hard, hard slog against the Ospreys next week.

Posted by Malcolm on September 23, 2007 09:44 AM | Reply to this comment

Warriors were not as confident as the Blues and appeared to resist commitment. The second half, once the subs started to appear, got a bit better. Why don't Warriors gove the subs more of a chance to shine as James Eddie did when he came on?

Posted by hannah on September 24, 2007 08:29 PM | Reply to this comment

what happened to thom?

Posted by vicki on September 25, 2007 09:39 AM | Reply to this comment

He limped off in the first half, and was replaced by Hefin.

Posted by vicki on September 25, 2007 09:40 AM | Reply to this comment

He limped off in the first half, and was replaced by Hefin.

Add a comment to this article

If you're replying to an existing comment, please use the 'Reply to this comment' link above the entry. This will display the comments in a way which is far easier for other readers to follow.