Glasgow Warriors | Toulouse v Glasgow Warriors

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site


December 21, 2010

Toulouse 36 - 10 Glasgow Warriors

Heineken Cup match played at Stade Ernest Wallon on Tuesday December 21st 2010 | No comments

DTH van der Merwe grabbed Glasgow's try
Glasgow Warriors' French misery continued as they went down 36-10 to Toulouse in tonight's Heineken Cup clash.

Maxi Medard and Virgile Lacombe grabbed first-half tries for the hosts who led 14-3 at the interval.

DTH van der Merwe gave Glasgow a glimmer of hope early in the second half but they were blown away by a clinical Toulouse outfit, who scored further tries through Clement Poitrenaud, Thierry Dusautoir and Vincent Clerc.

The Warriors had endured a torrid week in the south of France with the weather across Europe causing chaos.

First Sean Lineen's men endured a 16-hour journey to Toulouse and upon their arrival they discovered their luggage had not arrived. That led to the game being postponed twice until the kit was located and delivered to the team.

The last time Glasgow visited the home of the European aristocrats, in 2009, they recorded one of the biggest shocks in Europe with a 33-26 victory. But the four-times and reigning Heineken Cup champions ensured history did not repeat itself and compounded Glasgow's woes with a bonus-point to end Glasgow's European hopes.

Glasgow were up against it from the moment they arrived at Stade Ernest-Wallon where they were booed and heckled by Toulouse supporters angry with the game's previous postponements.

Toulouse came out firing on all cylinders and dominated the opening exchanges with Louis Picamoles coming close to scoring.

But it was Medard that broke the deadlock with a fine individual try after 10 minutes. The Top 14 leading tryscorer found a mis-match in midfield and stepped inside prop forward Moray Low to race clear and score beneath the posts. David Skrela duly converted to give his side a 7-0 lead.

Colin Gregor came close to scoring after a trademark Max Evans break, but the scrum-half was dragged down agonisingly short of the line but the Warriors secured a penalty and Ruaridh Jackson dissected the posts.

With a clear spike to the game, it almost boiled over after 20 minutes with a mass brawl following a Toulouse penalty. Richie Grey was adjudged to have started the altercation and was sent to the sin-bin.

Toulouse extended their lead with a second try on the 23-minute mark, Lacombe the beneficiary of a powerful rolling maul, with Skrela adding the extras.

Toulouse pushed for a late first-half try but Glasgow's defence just about held firm.

The visitors made a perfect start to the second half when Van der Merwe danced his way over after 45 minutes. The flying Dutchman stepped inside Poitrenaud to score between the posts. Jackson converted the solo effort to bring Glasgow within four points.

But Toulouse immediately struck back with a Skrela penalty before Poitrenaud made amends and raced clear to score a crucial try that Skrela expertly converted from the touchline.

And the European giants secured the all-important bonus-point try through Dusautoir on 65 minutes before Clerc rubbed salt into Glasgow's wounds.

Referee John Lacey (IRU)
Attendance 19,000
Jon Welsh
Fergus Thomson
Moray Low
Richie Gray
Alastair Kellock
Robert Harley
John Barclay
Richie Vernon
Colin Gregor
Ruaridh Jackson
DTH van der Merwe
Graeme Morrison
Max Evans
Hefin O'Hare
Bernardo Stortoni
Pat MacArthur
Kevin Tkachuk
Ryan Grant
Aly Muldowney
Chris Fusaro
Henry Pyrgos
Peter Murchie
Federico Aramburu
Match Substitutions
Off On
Moray Low Kevin Tkachuk
Off On
Richie Vernon Ryan Grant
Off On
Colin Gregor Henry Pyrgos
Off On
Fergus Thomson Pat MacArthur
Off On
Alastair Kellock Aly Muldowney
Off On
DTH van der Merwe Federico Aramburu
Off On
Bernardo Stortoni Peter Murchie
Off On
Richie Vernon Chris Fusaro
Ruaridh Jackson Penalty
DTH van der Merwe Try 
Ruaridh Jackson Conversion

Add a comment to this article