Glasgow Warriors | Glasgow Warriors v London Wasps

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site


January 16, 2011

Glasgow Warriors 20 - 10 London Wasps

Heineken Cup match played at Firhill on Sunday January 16th 2011 | One comment

Ryan Wilson put in a fine display
Glasgow Warriors put a dent in Wasps hopes of advancing in the Heineken Cup with a well deserved 20-10 win at Firhill.

Wasps had built a 10-6 first-half lead with an early try from Tom Varndell plus the conversion and a penalty from Dave Walder.

But when Glasgow went ahead with a cracking try finished by Colin Gregor on 50 minutes to add to three penalties from Ruaridh Jackson, Wasps had nothing to offer and Glasgow's win was confirmed by a further penalty and drop-goal from Jackson.

Showing great initiative Glasgow, on receiving the opening kick, ran the ball and moved from deep in their own 22 to the other end where a penalty was awarded and Jackson opened the scoring in just the second minute.

Dave Walder equalised four minutes later with a strike from just over halfway and six minutes later Wasps scored the opening try. Despite his scrum being put on the back foot in midfield, number nine Joe Simpson found a huge amount of space before throwing a long pass to Tom Varndell on the left wing who cruised home and Walder converted from the touchline.

Glasgow dominated the middle part of the half, moving the ball well with flanker Richie Vernon particularly catching the eye. However the Wasps' defence was never really tested and all Glasgow had to show was a 15th-minute Jackson penalty.

In the 38th minute Walder had a chance to push Wasps further ahead after Glasgow prop Moray Low was penalised for pulling down the scrum. From very wide on the sodden pitch and just two metres into the Glasgow half, the stand-off's attempt passed just under the bar so Wasps went in leading 10-6.

Four minutes after the restart Wasps gave away a silly penalty on their own 22 in front of the posts when a hand from a maul interfered with home scrum-half Gregor.

Jackson kicked the points and six minutes later things got worse for the London side. Glasgow spread the ball wide to left winger Colin Shaw, who stepped inside and produced a great run that ended with him putting in Gregor for an unconverted try, putting Glasgow into a 14-10 lead.

Wasps now host Toulouse next week looking for a five points to zero win over the reigning European champions.

Referee J Jones (WRU)
Attendance 2,564
Man of the Match Ryan Wilson
Ryan Grant
Dougie Hall
Moray Low
Richie Gray
Alastair Kellock
Robert Harley
Richie Vernon
Ryan Wilson
Colin Gregor
Ruaridh Jackson
Hefin O'Hare
Peter Murchie
Federico Aramburu
Colin Shaw
Bernardo Stortoni
Pat MacArthur
Kevin Tkachuk
Jon Welsh
Aly Muldowney
Chris Fusaro
Henry Pyrgos
Dave McCall
Peter Horne
Match Substitutions
Off On
Ryan Grant Jon Welsh
Off On
Moray Low Kevin Tkachuk
Off On
Richie Gray Aly Muldowney
Off On
Dougie Hall Pat MacArthur
Off On
Ryan Wilson Chris Fusaro
Off On
Colin Gregor Henry Pyrgos
Off On
Peter Murchie Peter Horne
Ruaridh Jackson Penalty
Ruaridh Jackson Penalty
Ruaridh Jackson Penalty
Colin Gregor Try 
Ruaridh Jackson Penalty
Ruaridh Jackson Drop
    Posted by TRAVERS JACQUELINE on January 16, 2011 07:10 PM | Reply to this comment

    I would like to thank you for having won this match against The London Wasps ( I am a fan of Stade Toulousain and, living in Toulouse, I was in Ernest Wallon on Tuesday 21 December ). I enjoyed the way you played this afternoon without never giving up throughout this test. Thanks to you, toulouse is qualified but our team will have to win next week.
    Well done once more.

    Add a comment to this article

    If you're replying to an existing comment, please use the 'Reply to this comment' link above the entry. This will display the comments in a way which is far easier for other readers to follow.