Glasgow Warriors | Newport Gwent Dragons v Glasgow Warriors

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site


January 23, 2011

Newport Gwent Dragons 16 - 23 Glasgow Warriors

Heineken Cup match played at Rodney Parade on Sunday January 23rd 2011 | No comments

DTH van der Merwe kept up his try scoring form with a double against the Dragons
Glasgow Warriors ended their Heineken Cup campaign with a fine 23-16 win over the Dragons at Rodney Parade.

Two tries from winger DTH van der Merwe helped the Warriors home for a third win in Pool Six and condemned the Dragons to a complete whitewash of defeats this year.

There was nothing but pride plus some one-upmanship ahead of the next encounter between the sides in the Magners League next month at stake.

Glasgow failed to get into the Dragons 22 in the first half but the boot of fly-half Ruaridh Jackson was good enough to keep the Warriors level at the break.

Jackson boomed over an early penalty from 40 metres to give Glasgow the first points of the match but that was soon cancelled out as home stand-off Jason Tovey dropped a neat goal from 20 metres.

Dragons wing Aled Brew had the best chance of scoring tries, not once but twice within a matter of minutes.

He ran into a Glasgow defensive wall on their line but, after consultation with the video referee, the possible touchdown was ruled out.

Moments later, he did touch the ball down clearly but the scoring pass from Tovey was ruled to have gone forward.

Jackson increased the Glasgow lead on the half-hour with a 45-metre penalty but Tovey again countered just before and after the break to give the Dragons a three-point advantage.

Finally, Brew got his reward as replacement centre Pat Leach kicked into the Glasgow try area for the lively wing to chase and touch down - a score, given this time by the fourth official, that Tovey converted from the touchline.

The video referee was having a busy match as Glasgow drove forward to the home line for scrum-half Colin Gregor to dummy a pass out but go down the left blindside and, according to the fourth official, just get the ball down.

For all their inability to make meaningful attacks in the first-half, Glasgow managed another on 62 minutes when van der Merwe raced to the line, was turned over by a couple of defenders but, again thanks to video analysis, scored the try.

And the Canadian international did it again when he skipped past some weak tackling to run in unopposed.

After the match, head coach Sean Lineen said: “We respect the Dragons because we play so many games against them.

“Both teams were going through the motions a bit and it felt like a pre-season game at times, but to come away with a win in Europe, away from home, without playing well, is a biggy.”

Captain Alastair Kellock added: “We wouldn’t have won that game had it not been for the platform we’d built over the last few weeks.

“Ultimately we’re disappointed not to qualify, but this was a good way to finish.”

Referee John Paul Doyle (RFU)
Attendance 5,284
Man of the Match DTH van der Merwe
Jon Welsh
Dougie Hall
Moray Low
Aly Muldowney
Alastair Kellock
Robert Harley
Richie Vernon
Ryan Wilson
Colin Gregor
Ruaridh Jackson
DTH van der Merwe
Peter Murchie
Federico Aramburu
Colin Shaw
Bernardo Stortoni
Fergus Thomson
Kevin Tkachuk
Ryan Grant
Paul Burke
Chris Fusaro
Henry Pyrgos
Peter Horne
Hefin O'Hare
Match Substitutions
Off On
Jon Welsh Ryan Grant
Off On
Dougie Hall Fergus Thomson
Off On
Federico Aramburu Peter Horne
Off On
Colin Shaw Hefin O'Hare
Off On
Bernardo Stortoni Henry Pyrgos
Off On
Robert Harley Chris Fusaro
Off On
Moray Low Kevin Tkachuk
Off On
Richie Vernon Paul Burke
Ruaridh Jackson Penalty
Ruaridh Jackson Penalty
Colin Gregor Try 
DTH van der Merwe Try 
DTH van der Merwe Try 
Colin Gregor Conversion

Add a comment to this article