Glasgow Warriors | Glasgow Warriors v Connacht

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

September 17, 2010

Glasgow Warriors 17 - 19 Connacht

GUINNESS PRO12 match played at Firhill on Friday September 17th 2010 | One comment

Graeme Morrison went over for Glasgow's only try
Glasgow Warriors squandered an eight-point lead as Connacht came roaring back to secure victory at Firhill.

The Warriors came out determined to make amends for a poor performance at Rodney Parade last week and a thundering drive with Jon Welsh gave them the chance to open the score after two minutes, with Ruaridh Jackson landing the penalty.

The home side kept up the pressure and a Max Evans break down the left had Connacht back pedalling and when the ball was switched right, Graeme Morrison had room to stretch over for the opening try.

Carr showed his class a couple of minutes later but the final pass was knocked on, yet it showed what was to come.

When Glasgow foundered on some rock solid Connacht defence after five minutes of futile passing, the visitors sensed that they could turn things around.

Two Keatley penalties after 25 and 30 minutes put the visitors on the front foot.

Carr then took a hand when he cut in off his wing and left five tacklers in his wake as he rocketed across the pitch.

He then straightened up his run to go over, giving Keatley a simple conversion to take Connacht in leading at half-time.

The second half was only a minute old when Keatley stretched that lead further with his third penalty.

With Connacht's big men Michael Swift and Bernie Upton cranking up the pressure, Glasgow looked to be in trouble but two penalties in quick succession for Jackson pulled them back into the game.

The final quarter was a toe-to-toe battle with both sides having chances.

Jackson pulled Glasgow ahead with his third penalty and it looked as though the home side had pulled off a victory.

But Keatley held his nerve and banged over his fourth successful penalty with five minutes to go.

Glasgow threw everything into the last few minutes and their final chance came when Duncan Weir set up for a drop at goal but his kick drifted wide.

Connacht to made it two wins from three starts, while defeat left Glasgow again looking back on a game when they failed to dominate the contact area and were outmuscled in the set piece.

Attendance 3,043
Jon Welsh
Fergus Thomson
Ed Kalman
Tom Ryder
Richie Gray
Robert Harley
John Barclay
Richie Vernon
Colin Gregor
Ruaridh Jackson
Hefin O'Hare
Graeme Morrison
Max Evans
DTH van der Merwe
Bernardo Stortoni
Pat MacArthur
Kevin Tkachuk
Moray Low
Aly Muldowney
Calum Forrester
Henry Pyrgos
Duncan Weir
Peter Murchie
Match Substitutions
Off On
Ed Kalman Moray Low
Off On
Jon Welsh Kevin Tkachuk
Off On
Tom Ryder Aly Muldowney
Off On
Ruaridh Jackson Duncan Weir
Off On
John Barclay Calum Forrester
Off On
Fergus Thomson Pat MacArthur
Ruaridh Jackson Penalty
Graeme Morrison Try 
Ruaridh Jackson Penalty
Ruaridh Jackson Penalty
Ruaridh Jackson Penalty
Posted by ballinj on September 18, 2010 03:32 PM | Reply to this comment

It is very noticeable that Glasgow have changed their style this season and it isn't working.

Last year the main carriers were at 8 and 12. This season Morrison and Vernon are not getting the ball and we are not getting over the game line. The same could be said for the props who are not getting into the game to the same extent as last season.

Also desperately lacking the explosive pace on the wings this season.

Add a comment to this article

If you're replying to an existing comment, please use the 'Reply to this comment' link above the entry. This will display the comments in a way which is far easier for other readers to follow.