Glasgow Warriors | Glasgow Warriors v Ulster

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

March 25, 2011

Glasgow Warriors 19 - 22 Ulster

GUINNESS PRO12 match played at Firhill on Friday March 25th 2011 | One comment

Ryan Grant grabbed the Glasgow try
Glasgow lost 22-19 as the Ulater stole the game with the last kick of the match at Firhill.

Big money signing Ruan Pienaar was the hero for Ulster, his man-of-the-match haul of all 22 points ensuring his side snatched a last-gasp win over the Warriors.

A self-converted try and five penalties, the last of which came in the final seconds, were enough to see off the Warriors, whose sole try came from Ryan Grant.

Scotland fly-half Ruaridh Jackson booted 11 points, while his replacement Duncan Weir set up a tight finish with a late penalty.

The hosts held the upper hand in the opening exchanges, an early Jackson up-and-under causing havoc in the Ulster ranks. From the ensuing pressure, the home stand-off notched the game's first points, converting a straightforward penalty after Pedrie Wannenburg was penalised for a short-armed tackle.

Parity was restored in the 12th minute when Ulster fly-half Pienaar slotted a 40-metre penalty resulting from a front-row infringement in the scrum. Moments earlier, he had failed with a more challenging attempt from the touchline after Glasgow prop Moray Low had been penalised for a cynical block on Scotland colleague Simon Danielli.

Low's front-row colleague Jon Welsh created the first try-scoring opportunity, with a grubber kick to the corner only just eluding Canada flyer DTH van der Merwe.

Having gone so close to the opening try, the Warriors swiftly shot themselves in the foot, referee David Jones detecting yet another offence in the front row of the home scrum and presenting Pienaar with a simple penalty chance which he stroked over.

The half closed with the Warriors once again on top but they were made to pay when Jackson overcooked a touchline kick and Pienaar thumped over a monster penalty from inside his own half to stretch the Ulster advantage to six points.

Fly-half Jackson was heavily involved in the early stages of the second period, two early penalty misses denting his side's aspirations even as his thrusting running maintained their dominant field position.

On 48 minutes, Jones awarded a scrum penalty in favour of the home side, and this time Jackson made no mistake from straight in front.

The Ulstermen's creaking defence was eventually breached when towering lock Aly Muldowney crashed through a lineout to charge down scrum-half Paul Marshall's kick. Muldowney showed great awareness to scoop the loose ball back to the onrushing Ryan Grant, on as a replacement, who powered over from close range. Jackson added the extras.

Straight from the restart further indiscipline handed Pienaar an opportunity to restore his side's lead, but his penalty attempt drifted wide.

Returning Ireland hooker Rory Best entered from the Ulster bench with 20 minutes to play, but his stay was short-lived as only minutes later he was ordered to the sin bin for an indiscretion at a ruck. Jackson added to his side's lead with the resulting penalty.

Pienaar atoned for his earlier misguided efforts with the boot in emphatic style with the game entering the final 10 minutes, scrambling over for a self-converted try, which needed confirmation from the video referee, to level the scores.

And level was how it remained until the dying moments. Pienaar appeared to have secured the victory with a sweetly-struck penalty from halfway but Weir knocked over a long-range effort to set up a tense finale.

And it was left to Pienaar to have the final say. After referee Jones claimed to see a Glasgow player kick the ball away, a penalty was moved into the South African's kicking range and he duly converted to grab the victory.

Referee David Jones (Wales)
Attendance 2,715
Jon Welsh
Fergus Thomson
Moray Low
Aly Muldowney
Robert Harley
James Eddie
Ryan Wilson
Richie Vernon
Colin Gregor
Ruaridh Jackson
Alex Dunbar
Peter Murchie
Federico Aramburu
DTH van der Merwe
Bernardo Stortoni
Pat MacArthur
Ryan Grant
Kevin Tkachuk
Chris Fusaro
John Beattie
Henry Pyrgos
Duncan Weir
Hefin O'Hare
Match Substitutions
Off On
DTH van der Merwe Hefin O'Hare
Off On
Jon Welsh Ryan Grant
Off On
Moray Low Kevin Tkachuk
Off On
Fergus Thomson Pat MacArthur
Off On
James Eddie John Beattie
Off On
Ruaridh Jackson Duncan Weir
Ruaridh Jackson Penalty
Ruaridh Jackson Penalty
Ryan Grant Try 
Ruaridh Jackson Conversion
Ruaridh Jackson Penalty
Duncan Weir Penalty
Posted by Coruisk on March 27, 2011 12:34 PM | Reply to this comment

The three points lost before half-time was daft.

Against Treviso, with no time on the clock, in their half and going for a try bonus, we kick the ball out to end the game.

Against Ulster, with no time on the clock and in our own half, we fail to get the ball off the pitch to end the first period and then give away a penalty.

Decision making and discipline needs to be much better. We threw (and kicked) that game away.

Add a comment to this article

If you're replying to an existing comment, please use the 'Reply to this comment' link above the entry. This will display the comments in a way which is far easier for other readers to follow.