Glasgow Warriors | Glasgow Warriors v Edinburgh

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

January 01, 2012

Glasgow Warriors 17 - 12 Edinburgh

GUINNESS PRO12 match played at Firhill on Sunday January 1st 2012 | 2 comments

Moray Low went over for the Glasgow try
Glasgow Warriors took four points and the 1872 Cup in a scrappy encounter at Firhill tonight.

Moray Low took full advantage of Matt Scott's late yellow card to force the only try as Glasgow continued their challenge in the upper reaches of the RaboDirect Pro12 in front of a record crowd of 8,852.

The teams were locked on nine points each until Scott threw Robert Harley to the ground in the 68th minute and Low soon emerged with the ball after a lineout to cross over the line.

The teams had drawn 23-23 at Murrayfield on Boxing Day, sharing three tries apiece, but the record sell-out crowd were not treated to a similar free-flowing contest.

There were too many errors on both sides and the game appeared to be heading towards a kicking stalemate until Scott went to the sin bin.

However, the vast majority of the crowd went home happy as Glasgow did just enough to seal their sixth consecutive home win.

Both sides made numerous changes with only Kyle Traynor and Netani Talei retaining their places for Edinburgh, although they were able to recall Scotland caps such as Simon Webster and Phil Godman. Glasgow made a number of alterations with Rory Lamont and Ryan Grant dropping out through injury. Ruaridh Jackson was a late withdrawal due to a tight leg.

Glasgow twice clawed back 10-point deficits on Boxing Day but they took an early lead when Duncan Weir kicked a penalty.

Low was penalised for an infringement spotted by the touch judge to give Edinburgh the chance to level but Godman was off target.

Chris Cusiter set up a Glasgow break but Colin Shaw lacked conviction and Weir then missed a long-range penalty.

Weir's kicks from open play kept Edinburgh under pressure and he doubled their lead after Edinburgh were penalised for offside.

The home side survived a period of pressure inside their own 22 when Godman's attempted chip was charged down but the penalty had already been awarded for offside and the stand-off got Edinburgh off the mark from close range.

Weir soon restored the six-point difference with a penalty from around 30 metres out but his spillage almost allowed Edinburgh in at the other end, Scott just too far away from the loose ball to capitalise.

Edinburgh made a change five minutes before the break with Alan Walker on for Andrew Kelly and Godman failed with a penalty from near the left touchline on the 10-metre line after Weir had been penalised for holding.

Godman reduced the arrears when he kicked a difficult penalty in the second minute after the restart to make it 9-6, and then just before the hour he was on target again to level the scores.

Glasgow made a series of changes with John Barclay among the introductions and they finally began to exert some second-half pressure.

But it was not until Scott was sent to the sin bin for a dangerous tackle on Harley that they looked like breaking their opponents down.

Low crossed in the following minute after a scrum with the try awarded after confirmation from the video judge.

Scott Wight, on for Weir, missed the conversion but he soon kicked a penalty and Edinburgh, with Mike Blair going off injured, looked like they had no way back.

Lee Jones appeared to have reduced the deficit though as he took Godman's crossfield kick and crossed at the corner flag in the 75th minute. However, Colin Shaw made a crucial tackle and the TMO ruled the Edinburgh winger had been forced over the touchline beforehand.

Godman did secure a bonus point for the visitors with a drop goal in the last seconds.

Edinburgh head coach Michael Bradley said: "It was a crucial decision in the game. We have had a lot of possession for all of the game.

"The yellow card was decisive in terms of the balance of power. The referee was next to it and didn't seem to put his hand in his pocket or stop the play even, and the touch judge saw what he saw."

"The subs made a difference," said Glasgow coach Sean Lineen, who brought on the likes of John Barclay and Scott Wight after the visitors had cancelled out Glasgow's 9-3 half-time lead.

"They upped the tempo and we got some quick ball.

"Matt Scott, a centre, was the one who was yellow-carded. I don't think he would have done anything with the drive.

"It's a shame we couldn't put on a better performance for the purist but in a derby match, winning is all important."

Moray Low returned to the field after an injury to his replacement Mike Cusack and went over for the only try of the game. The big prop said: “Unfortunately, Mike hurt his leg and I had the chance to come back on. I had a five-minute break then back on. It was just a pick-and-go and the boys called out, so I picked and went; nothing to write home about, but it was a try and they all count.

“I was keen to get back out and playing, and felt I did well off the bench, so it was good to start today. And it’s great to have a fantastic support, and keep the unbeaten run going.”

Referee Peter Allan (SRU)
Attendance 8,852
Man of the Match Chris Cusiter
Jon Welsh
Dougie Hall
Moray Low
Richie Gray
Alastair Kellock
Robert Harley
Chris Fusaro
Ryan Wilson
Chris Cusiter
Duncan Weir
Colin Shaw
Graeme Morrison
Stuart Hogg
David Lemi
Peter Murchie
Pat MacArthur
Michael Cusack
Tom Ryder
John Barclay
Henry Pyrgos
Troy Nathan
Scott Wight
Match Substitutions
Off On
Dougie Hall Pat MacArthur
Off On
Moray Low Michael Cusack
Off On
Jon Welsh Ed Kalman
Off On
Ryan Wilson John Barclay
Off On
Alastair Kellock Tom Ryder
Off On
Duncan Weir Scott Wight
Off On
Chris Cusiter Henry Pyrgos
Duncan Weir Penalty
Duncan Weir Penalty
Duncan Weir Penalty
Moray Low Try 
Scott Wight Penalty
Posted by coruisk on January 1, 2012 11:28 PM | Reply to this comment

The replacements did make a difference. Pat MacArthur has come onto a very good game this season.

Posted by Tom on January 3, 2012 03:23 PM | Reply to this comment

Although delighted with the points I felt Edinburgh were hard done by, having a player sin-binned for a tackle that was similar to the tackle on Chris Paterson the previous week. Lets hope the crowd is just as vociferous against Leinster.

Add a comment to this article

If you're replying to an existing comment, please use the 'Reply to this comment' link above the entry. This will display the comments in a way which is far easier for other readers to follow.