Glasgow Warriors | Glasgow Warriors v Connacht

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

May 05, 2012

Glasgow Warriors 24 - 3 Connacht

GUINNESS PRO12 match played at Firhill on Saturday May 5th 2012 | No comments

Federico Aramburu led the Warriors to a play-off spot
Glasgow Warriors confirmed their place in the RaboDirect play-offs with a 24-3 victory over Connacht tonight.

The Warriors will now face Leinster at the RDS next Saturday evening.

In what was their last ever game at Firhill Stadium before their summer move to the recently redeveloped Scotstoun Stadium, the Warriors grabbed the spoils thanks to tries from DTH van der Merwe and John Barclay.

The rest of the points came from the boot of Duncan Weir, while replacement Ruaridh Jackson also chipped in with a late conversion. Despite their loss, Connacht remained in eighth place in the table, their highest league finish ever.

It was the hosts who were first on the scoreboard, fly-half Weir thumping over a penalty after the Connacht front row buckled in the scrum, having missed a long-range effort moments earlier.

Yet the game was level only minutes later, Miah Nikora stroking a straightforward penalty through the uprights, as Connacht gained reward for their first foray into Glasgow territory.

The Irish province began to visibly grow in confidence as the half progressed, the elusive running of centre Henry Fa'afili proving particularly destructive, while the tactical astuteness of Nikora began to take effect. The fly-half's clever cross-kick released Gavin Duffy, only for the home rearguard to smother the move.

Before long, the Warriors began to reassert some authority on proceedings, and Weir nudged them back in front with a sweetly-struck penalty from all of 50 metres.

Glasgow have been without try-scoring machine Van der Merwe for the majority of this campaign, the giant winger having been dogged with a shoulder injury, but after an industrious start it was no surprise that he crossed the whitewash for the game's first try, rounding off a sweeping Warriors move featuring slick interplay from backs and forwards alike. Weir slid his conversion attempt wide of the posts.

At times the game appeared as though it may boil over, one altercation running for a number of minutes before referee Peter Fitzgibbon restored order. From the resulting penalty, Weir elected to kick to touch rather than have a shot at goal, and the move petered out, bringing the half to a close.

Weir stretched the hosts' lead early in the second period with a third successful penalty and they continued to dominate as the half wore on. The probing runs of Stuart Hogg and Alex Dunbar, aided by yet another sterling performance from young scrum-half Henry Pyrgos, kept Connacht penned deep in their own territory for long periods.

Somewhat inevitably, it was the home side who altered the scoreboard once more, Weir adding another three-pointer as the Connacht front row continued to shed penalties at the scrum.

The visitors were temporarily reduced to 14 men when replacement scrum-half Paul O'Donohoe was ordered to the sin-bin for petulantly throwing opposing number Chris Cusiter to the ground off the ball. From the resulting penalty, Glasgow assumed prime field position and secured a scrum metres from the Connacht line.

The hosts marched the scrum into the dead-ball area with ease, allowing No.8 Barclay to dab down for a try converted by substitute Jackson.

As the game drew to a close, Connacht enjoyed their best spell of pressure, but they were unable to convert their territorial advantage into points, handing Glasgow the victory as they signed off their Firhill career in style.

Sean Lineen told “It was a really professional effort from the guys tonight; Connacht were as dogged as we’d expected them to be, but we held firm and were very worthy winners.

“DTH underlined his class once again, the back row were outstanding, and we got a real captain’s performance from [RaboDirect Man of the Match] Federico Aramburu.

“He said earlier in the week he wants another few games before he retires at the end of the season, and everyone here is absolutely determined to ensure we play, and win, two more matches.

“Leinster will be a huge challenge for us, we know that, but we’ve got faith in the spirit, character and ability of this side and we’ll be doing everything we can to win the game.

“The crowd were magnificent again – I’ll be taking away some great memories from Firhill, but the season is far from finished.”

Referee Peter Fitzgibbon (Ireland)
Attendance 5,374
Man of the Match Federico Aramburu
Jon Welsh
Dougie Hall
Moray Low
Richie Gray
Tom Ryder
Robert Harley
Chris Fusaro
John Barclay
Henry Pyrgos
Duncan Weir
DTH van der Merwe
Graeme Morrison
Alex Dunbar
Federico Aramburu
Stuart Hogg
Pat MacArthur
Michael Cusack
Ryan Grant
Alastair Kellock
Calum Forrester
Chris Cusiter
Ruaridh Jackson
Colin Shaw
Match Substitutions
Off On
Jon Welsh Ryan Grant
Off On
Dougie Hall Pat MacArthur
Off On
Richie Gray Alastair Kellock
Off On
Henry Pyrgos Chris Cusiter
Off On
Duncan Weir Ruaridh Jackson
Off On
DTH van der Merwe Colin Shaw
Off On
Moray Low Michael Cusack
Off On
Chris Fusaro Calum Forrester
Duncan Weir Penalty
Duncan Weir Penalty
DTH van der Merwe Try 
Duncan Weir Penalty
Duncan Weir Penalty
John Barclay Try 
Ruaridh Jackson Conversion