Glasgow Warriors | Glasgow Warriors v Aironi Rugby

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site


March 23, 2012

Glasgow Warriors 29 - 6 Aironi Rugby

GUINNESS PRO12 match played at Firhill on Friday March 23rd 2012 | No comments

Tommy Seymour opened the scoring for Glasgow
Glasgow Warriors are still on course for the RaboDirect play-offs after a clinical performance against an Aironi side who never got on terms.

The visitors were unable to cope with the power of the Glasgow pack in the set piece and 15 points from the boot of Duncan Weir meant the only disappointment of the night was they did not clinch a try bonus point.

From the kick off Aironi put themselves under pressure and were penalised at the first scrum for Weir to open the scoring.

The Glasgow forwards piled on the pressure, beating the first up tackles and forcing Aironi into desperate defence and after Tommy Seymour and Ryan Grant were held short, the inevitable penalty came and Weir had no problem doubling the score.

Glasgow had most of the possession and territory which came from a total domination in the set piece and Weir landed his third penalty after the visitors' scrum disintegrated.

Finally Aironi got hands on the ball, a Luciano Orquera chip forced Henry Pyrgos into giving away the penalty and the Italian number 10 got his side on the board.

Orquera repeated the dose five minutes later to reduce the gap to three points but with five minutes to go to the break Glasgow got the try they needed.

Pyrgos held up the ball beautifully for Seymour to take a great angle and slice through the defence to score at the posts.

Weir converted but in the final minute had his clearance kick charged down by Orquera and Glasgow ended the half scrambling clear but 10 points ahead.

Weir extended that lead four minutes into the second half and the Italians were again unable to get any sort of momentum in the face of fierce Glasgow defence.

The determination of the home side to collect the bonus was obvious as they went for the corner from several kickable penalties.

After misfiring on a couple, the try came as a drive on Tom Ryder's line out take saw Chris Fusaro emerge with the ball and the score.

Aironi were becoming frustrated as was referee Dudley Phillips and when Matias Aguero was binned, Glasgow took advantage of the extra man for David Lemi to put full back Peter Murchie over in the corner.

Glasgow threw everything at the Aironi line in the final four minutes and their frustration was clear at the final whistle that the bonus had eluded them in a match they had dominated.

Sean Lineen said: “This is another really good result from us, the product of an excellent team display.

“The will to win of this group is second to none, and we’ve put ourselves in a good position to kick on and achieve something substantial from the season.

“The players, to a man, were outstanding tonight, and the same goes for the crowd. We’ll be needing them all on top form next week for what will be another huge test against Cardiff.”

Referee Dudley Phillips (IRFU)
Attendance 4,110
Man of the Match henry Pyrgos
Ryan Grant
Dougie Hall
Michael Cusack
Nick Campbell
Tom Ryder
Calum Forrester
Chris Fusaro
Ryan Wilson
Henry Pyrgos
Duncan Weir
David Lemi
Federico Aramburu
Alex Dunbar
Tommy Seymour
Peter Murchie
Pat MacArthur
Gordon Reid
Moray Low
Rob Verbakel
John Beattie
Murray McConnell
Scott Wight
Troy Nathan
Match Substitutions
Off On
Nick Campbell Rob Verbakel
Off On
Michael Cusack Moray Low
Off On
Dougie Hall Pat MacArthur
Off On
Duncan Weir Scott Wight
Off On
Federico Aramburu Troy Nathan
Off On
Calum Forrester John Beattie
Off On
Ryan Grant Gordon Reid
Off On
Henry Pyrgos Murray McConnell
Duncan Weir Penalty
Duncan Weir Penalty
Duncan Weir Penalty
Tommy Seymour Try 
Duncan Weir Conversion
Duncan Weir Penalty
Chris Fusaro Try 
Peter Murchie Try