Glasgow Warriors | Edinburgh v Glasgow Warriors

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

December 26, 2011

Edinburgh 23 - 23 Glasgow Warriors

GUINNESS PRO12 match played at Murrayfield on Monday December 26th 2011 | 9 comments

Colin Shaw grabbed Glasgow's second try
The points were shared at Murrayfield tonight, although both Glasgow and Edinburgh will feel it was a match they could and should have won.

It was a contest which had all the intensity expected from a local derby, with places in Scotland's RBS 6 Nations Championship squad also up for grabs.

Tim Visser turned the game in Edinburgh's favour with two tries in three minutes early in the second half, while Ross Rennie also crossed the whitewash and Greig Laidlaw kicked eight points for the hosts.

But Warriors replacement Ruaridh Jackson claimed Glasgow's third try three minutes from time to level the scores.

Jackson was denied further heroics as he missed the subsequent conversion and a last-minute penalty in blustery winds, but the Warriors' unbeaten league run was extended to seven matches.

Alastair Kellock and Colin Shaw also scored tries for Glasgow, with Duncan Weir kicking eight points.

Scotland head coach Andy Robinson will have been heartened by what he saw, the only real negative when Rory Lamont was taken off on a stretcher and on to hospital for precautionary tests following an awkward landing in the first half.

Among the 13,240 spectators inside Murrayfield were the Scotland coaching team, led by Robinson, who is thinking ahead to the Calcutta Cup showdown with England on February 4.

The selections themselves would have made for interesting reading for Robinson, with Laidlaw named at fly-half opposite Weir, rather than Jackson, who began the most recent international but was named as substitute for the Warriors.

There were numerous other intriguing match-ups across the field - Mike Blair versus Chris Cusiter at scrum-half and Rennie and John Barclay and openside flanker to name two.

Edinburgh's Rennie made the strongest first impression in his personal duel with Barclay, collecting Netani Talei's short pass to crash over for a third-minute try which Laidlaw converted.

Glasgow's fortunes suffered again when hooker Pat McArthur was shown a yellow card for obstructing James King as he attempted to collect his own chip and Laidlaw's penalty extended the hosts' lead.

Weir replied with a penalty after Geoff Cross transgressed at a ruck before Laidlaw missed a kick at goal.

McArthur returned without Glasgow unduly suffering in his absence.

His first act on his return was to throw in at a five-metre lineout, which Kellock collected before, a few phases later, barging over on the blindside after 28 minutes. Weir converted to level.

Robinson will have been disappointed to see Glasgow number eight Johnnie Beattie replaced after 32 minutes as he continues to struggle with injury and to recover the form which made him one of the most revered back-row forwards in the northern hemisphere in 2010.

Lamont soon followed after colliding with Rennie in mid-air while challenging for Blair's high kick.

Laidlaw and Weir exchanged penalties early in the second half before Visser's first score.

The wing scampered over in the left corner after the ball spilled out of a scrum and Talei picked up.

Visser had more to do for his second score, but evaded David Lemi's last-ditch tackle to touch down.

Glasgow then turned to Jackson, who grubber-kicked through for Shaw to score after 62 minutes.

Jackson missed the conversion to leave the Warriors five points adrift but the visitors' persistence paid off.

Glasgow rumbled forward through their pack and Lee Jones failed to catch Cusiter's high kick into the swirling wind inside the goal area, with Jackson pouncing to score.

The conversion was missed, but Jackson was granted another chance to kick the winning points when Edinburgh were caught offside.

However, his penalty into the wind fell short and the match was drawn.

Glasgow skipper Alastair Kellock said: "We've got character in abundance. We have shown over the last few weeks.

"It's not a bad result tonight. A draw away from home is a good result.

"We were good at times and we were poor at times.

"These derbies are always quite scrappy regardless of the conditions, but the wind was difficult to deal with.

"It's disappointing to give away the tries. We knew big Tim Visser was a threat and I would rather he had more pressure on him.

"I thought the crowd was tremendous. The Glasgow supporters were top class: that gives us a big lift."

Referee Neil Paterson (Dundee HSFP)
Attendance 13,240
Ryan Grant
Pat MacArthur
Michael Cusack
Richie Gray
Alastair Kellock
Robert Harley
John Barclay
John Beattie
Chris Cusiter
Duncan Weir
Rory Lamont
Graeme Morrison
Troy Nathan
David Lemi
Stuart Hogg
Dougie Hall
Jon Welsh
Moray Low
Tom Ryder
Chris Fusaro
Henry Pyrgos
Colin Shaw
Ruaridh Jackson
Match Substitutions
Off On
Ryan Grant Jon Welsh
Off On
John Beattie Chris Fusaro
Off On
Rory Lamont Colin Shaw
Off On
Pat MacArthur Dougie Hall
Off On
Richie Gray Tom Ryder
Off On
Duncan Weir Ruaridh Jackson
Off On
Michael Cusack Moray Low
Duncan Weir Penalty
Alastair Kellock Try 
Duncan Weir Conversion
Duncan Weir Penalty
Colin Shaw Try 
Ruaridh Jackson Try 
Posted by Hugues on December 26, 2011 08:46 PM | Reply to this comment

No boxing day in France, so followed on the web, good crowd though 13,240.

I hope Rory injury is not too bad...

Posted by GlasgowFan on December 26, 2011 09:02 PM | Reply to this comment

We were lucky yet again to get a draw. we were shocking if not a disgrace.

Posted by coruisk on December 26, 2011 09:54 PM | Reply to this comment

A disgrace? Sober up.

Posted by Neil on December 26, 2011 09:57 PM | Reply to this comment

Are you really a fan? We were no where near as bad as the ref!

Posted by disco on December 26, 2011 10:53 PM | Reply to this comment

Get a grip...

Posted by hp18 on December 27, 2011 12:24 AM | Reply to this comment

This ^

Posted by hp18 on December 27, 2011 12:23 AM | Reply to this comment

Jog on.

Posted by Tom on December 27, 2011 01:31 PM | Reply to this comment

I thought Glasgow players sent out their sisters for the first 10 minutes or so, but after that they played well. The TMO obviously missed the dropped ball for Vissers first try, but his second was superb. We will have to be on our toes on the 1st.

Posted by Grumpy on December 27, 2011 10:38 PM | Reply to this comment

That's what I thought too, can clearly see it on the tv pictures. As for the 2nd one was there not a forward pass from de Luca to Visser around the halfway line? I guess the Murrayfield Mafia will do anything to keep Visser sweet, the ref even ignored him grabbing Rocky(?) around the neck in a tackle.

Somehow those tries wouldn't have been given at other stadiums.

Add a comment to this article

If you're replying to an existing comment, please use the 'Reply to this comment' link above the entry. This will display the comments in a way which is far easier for other readers to follow.