Glasgow Warriors | Llanelli Scarlets v Glasgow Warriors

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

January 07, 2012

Llanelli Scarlets 16 - 14 Glasgow Warriors

GUINNESS PRO12 match played at Parc y Scarlets on Saturday January 7th 2012 | No comments

Ruaridh Jackson went off with a leg injury
Glasgow's unbeaten run in the RaboDirect PRO12 came to an end on Saturday night as they were edged out 16-14 by Scarlets in Llanelli.

Moray Low gave the Warriors an early lead but they were punished when down to 13 men as back rowers Rob Harley and Ryan Wilson were sinbinned before half-time.

Glasgow also had to contend with injuries to Ruaridh Jackson and Moray Low that forced both players from the field in the first half.

After some cagey opening exchanges it was Sean Lineen's side who seized the initiative in the seventh minute when prop Low crashed over after Scarlets made a hash of a lineout near their own try-line.

Jackson failed to add the extras and Rhys Priestland reduced his side's arrears to only 5-3 when he slotted his first penalty of the match just three minutes later.

But in the twelfth minute the gap was back out to five when Jackson slotted over a penalty after the Welsh region failed to roll away at the breakdown.

But that was Jackson's final contribution as he limped off with a leg injury after the kick to be replaced by Scott Wight.

Two penalties from Priestland then turned the match around and the Scarlets led 9-8 after half an hour and it was then that referee Dudley Phillips came to the fore.

In the 36th minute the Warriors found themselves reduced to 13 men as first Rob Harley and then Ryan Wilson both saw yellow for separate incidents, Harley involved in an off-the-ball altercation and Wilson pinged for not releasing.

But despite their numerical disadvantage it looked like the Warriors might hold on until half-time but the Scarlets had other ideas and on the stroke of the whistle Davies snuck over to make it 16-8.

The pressure continued after the interval as the home side looked to make their extra numbers count but some stout defending from Glasgow kept them at bay, and the Warriors actually reduced their arrears on 44 minutes when Wight slotted a penalty from near the halfway line to make it 16-11.

Wight then missed with a simpler effort just before the hour mark as the visitors, restored to 15 men, pressed in search of a way back into the game.

The Scarlets had their chances as well and Calum Forrester had to be at his very best to deny Jonathan Davies a try with a last-gasp tackle to keep the score at 16-11.

Wight then reduced the Scottish outfit's arrears further with a penalty with 15 minutes to go but try as they might the Warriors could not find that final breakthrough

Referee Dudley Phillips (IRFU)
Attendance 9,869
Jon Welsh
Fergus Thomson
Moray Low
Rob Verbakel
Tom Ryder
Robert Harley
Chris Fusaro
Ryan Wilson
Henry Pyrgos
Ruaridh Jackson
David Lemi
Graeme Morrison
Rob Dewey
Tommy Seymour
Peter Murchie
Finlay Gillies
Gordon Reid
Ed Kalman
Calum Forrester
John Beattie
Murray McConnell
Alex Dunbar
Scott Wight
Match Substitutions
Off On
Ruaridh Jackson Scott Wight
Off On
Moray Low Ed Kalman
Off On
Fergus Thomson Finlay Gillies
Off On
Jon Welsh Gordon Reid
Off On
Chris Fusaro Calum Forrester
Off On
Ryan Wilson John Beattie
Off On
Rob Dewey Alex Dunbar
Off On
Henry Pyrgos Murray McConnell
Moray Low Try 
Ruaridh Jackson Penalty
Scott Wight Penalty
Scott Wight Penalty

Add a comment to this article