Glasgow Warriors | Newport Gwent Dragons v Glasgow Warriors

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

February 15, 2013

Dragons 3 - 60 Glasgow Warriors

GUINNESS PRO12 match played at Rodney Parade on Friday February 15th 2013 | No comments

Mark Bennett started Glasgow's try-fest at Rodney Parade
Glasgow Warriors scored eight tries in a 60-3 rout over the Dragons at Rodney Parade in the RaboDirect Pro12 on tonight.

Despite falling behind to an early Tom Prydie penalty, the Warriors showed ruthless attacking flair to blow their opponents away.

Duncan Weir levelled the scores less than five minutes later, and the visitors hit the front on 16 minutes, when Mark Bennett dummied his way over the line after the ball was worked wide.

Weir's conversion made it 3-10 and he was on target again as the Warriors went further in front shortly after, when Nikola Matawalu powered over from close range.

Weir's penalty on 27 minutes put further daylight between the two teams, before a converted Alex Dunbar try just shy of half-time left the hosts with a mountain to climb.

An inauspicious start to the second half did not suggest that there'd be many further points, though an avalanche of tries in the final 20 minutes piled on the misery for the Dragons.

Taylor Paris's converted try on the hour made it 3-34, and the points just kept on coming, with Tim Swinson and Josh Strauss next to cross.

Weir converted Swinson's effort, before Scott Wight took over kicking duties, converting Strauss's effort.

Swinson then added a second on 75 minutes though Wight was wide with the extras.

There was still time for Fraser Thomson to cross the line and Wight to help Glasgow reach 60.

Gregor Townsend said afterward: We had prepared very well for this game and we were prepared for a tough encounter but the way the guys clicked tonight was tremendous. Im very proud of the way they played tonight.

We took our chances very well tonight and scored three in the first half which really put us in control.

I thought we were actually a bit sloppy at the start of the second half but delighted with the way we pressed forward and delighted with the players who put their hand up and put in a performance.

Referee Claudio Blessano (FIR)
Attendance Nikola Matawalu
Man of the Match 4,311
Gordon Reid
Pat MacArthur
Jon Welsh
Tim Swinson
Tom Ryder
James Eddie
John Barclay
Ryan Wilson
Henry Pyrgos
Duncan Weir
DTH van der Merwe
Alex Dunbar
Mark Bennett
Nikola Matawalu
Peter Murchie
Gerwyn Price
Ofa Fainga'anuku
Ed Kalman
Jonny Gray
Josh Strauss
Taylor Paris
Scott Wight
Fraser Thomson
Match Substitutions
Off On
James Eddie Josh Strauss
Off On
Gordon Reid Ofa Fainga'anuku
Off On
Henry Pyrgos Taylor Paris
Off On
Ryan Wilson Jonny Gray
Off On
Pat MacArthur Gerwyn Price
Off On
Jon Welsh Ed Kalman
Off On
Duncan Weir Scott Wight
Off On
Peter Murchie Fraser Thomson
Duncan Weir Penalty
Mark Bennett Try 
Duncan Weir Conversion
Nikola Matawalu Try 
Duncan Weir Conversion
Duncan Weir Penalty
Alex Dunbar Try 
Duncan Weir Conversion
Taylor Paris Try 
Duncan Weir Conversion
Tim Swinson Try 
Duncan Weir Conversion
Josh Strauss Try 
Scott Wight Conversion
Tim Swinson Try 
Fraser Thomson Try 
Scott Wight Conversion