Glasgow Warriors | Edinburgh Rugby v Glasgow Warriors

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

December 26, 2013

Edinburgh Rugby 16 - 20 Glasgow Warriors

GUINNESS PRO12 match played at Murrayfield on Thursday December 26th 2013 | No comments

Duncan Weir kept Glasgow in touch with the boot
Glasgow Warriors ran out winners over Edinburgh at Murrayfield this afternoon.

Glasgow led twice early on through two Duncan Weir penalties, only to be pegged back by a Greig Laidlow penalty and a Dougie Fife try.

The Warriors closed the gap, again through Weir, before two Laidlow penalties saw the home side lead 16-9 at the break.

Edinburgh struggled to build on the momentum from the first half, and two Weir penalties left the visitors one point away before Stuart Hogg scored the winning try less than 15 minutes from time.

Edinburgh conceded a penalty after three minutes, just inside their own half for not rolling away, which Weir converted to open the scoring.

After winning two penalties in quick succession, Laidlaw converted a slightly easier kick to bring the hosts level. Glasgow quickly re-established their lead after being awarded a penalty for not releasing, with Weir again successful.

Edinburgh hit back well, though, and a smart offload from David Denton saw Fife go over to score, before an excellent Laidlaw conversion from out wide gave the hosts a 10-6 lead. The home side had their lead cut to one point when conceding another penalty, with Weir again unfaltering with the boot.

Glasgow were dealt a blow shortly before the half hour mark when Tyrone Holmes was sin-binned for tackling Laidlaw off the ball, with the fly-half scoring the penalty resulting penalty.

An powerful drive from the Edinburgh forwards looked like producing a score for the home side, but resolute defending saw Glasgow win a penalty and relieve the pressure.

Tempers flared when Stuart Hogg forced Tom Brown into touch before blows were exchanged between the pair which saw them both sent to the sin-bin.

Edinburgh missed a gilt-edged chance to score a try in the corner before half time as Jack Cuthbert failed to take Cornell Du Preez's pass.

Fortunately for the home side, Laidlaw was presented with another opportunity to extend their lead, albeit only by three, which he duly took.

Glasgow came close to scoring their first try of the game with an up-and-under into the dead-ball area, but when the hosts dealt with that threat, the referee brought play back, and Weir scored his fourth penalty of the game.

The visitors were awarded another penalty just inside Edinburgh's half, which Weir again converted to leave them just one away.

Glasgow retook the lead with less than 15 minutes to play when Hogg pounced upon DTH van der Merwe's kick down the wing, before Weir missed his first kick of the game to leave Edinburgh four points behind.

The four-point lead proved to be enough, though, when Sam Beard was forced into touch to seal the win for the visitors.

Referee Neil Paterson (Scotland)
Attendance 10,125
Ryan Grant
Pat MacArthur
Jon Welsh
Tim Swinson
Tom Ryder
Robert Harley
Tyrone Holmes
Ryan Wilson
Chris Cusiter
Duncan Weir
DTH van der Merwe
Alex Dunbar
Stuart Hogg
Tommy Seymour
Sean Maitland
Dougie Hall
Gordon Reid
Moray Low
Leone Nakarawa
Josh Strauss
Chris Fusaro
Henry Pyrgos
Ruaridh Jackson
Match Substitutions
Off On
Tommy Seymour Ruaridh Jackson
Off On
Pat MacArthur Dougie Hall
Off On
Ruaridh Jackson Josh Strauss
Off On
Jon Welsh Moray Low
Off On
Tim Swinson Leone Nakarawa
Off On
Tyrone Holmes Chris Fusaro
Off On
Chris Cusiter Henry Pyrgos
Off On
Ryan Grant Gordon Reid