Glasgow Warriors | Glasgow Warriors v Connacht

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

February 09, 2014

Glasgow Warriors 8 - 6 Connacht

GUINNESS PRO12 match played at Scotstoun on Sunday February 9th 2014 | No comments

Mark Bennett went over for the only try of the match
Glasgow edged out a resilient Connacht to maintain their bid for a top-four finish in the RaboDirect PRO12 in blustery conditions.

With the wind behind them, Connacht led 6-5 at half-time thanks to two penalties from Craig Ronaldson while Glasgow's man-of-the-match scrum-half Henry Pyrgos had set up Glasgow's try from centre Mark Bennett.

Glasgow's winning penalty was kicked by Ruaridh Jackson three minutes into the second half and thereafter they were thwarted by Connacht's determined defence.

Connacht centre Ronaldson missed a penalty chance from four metres in his own half in the third minute but in the eighth he struck a much easier one home to open a 3-0 lead.

In the 19th minute Glasgow took the lead with a superb score engineered by Pyrgos, who had already been showing a nose for a gap.

Breaking into open country from a ruck just over halfway and after a long run struck the correct kick to his right for centre Bennett, who gathered the slippery ball and went over for an unconverted try.

However, with play continuing to be confined to the Glasgow half by the elements, Connacht turned ahead thanks to a last-minute penalty from in front of the posts by Ronaldson after referee Leighton Hodges punished Glasgow tighthead prop Ed Kalman.

This followed a couple of missed efforts by Ronaldson in the 24th and 29th minutes and Glasgow having resisted a long period of pressure under their bar, sparked by good work from Connacht's George Naoupu and John Muldoon after Glasgow spilled possession.

It took less than two minutes of the second half for Glasgow to retake the lead. A 20-metre break by lock Leone Nakarawa produced a simple penalty for Jackson to kick.

Soon after, with the pattern of the first half replicated only Glasgow now had the wind advantage, Jackson failed with a long drop-goal effort.

Glasgow replaced their complete front row 10 minutes into the second period but penalty offences in the tight scrum continued to dog their efforts.

As the third quarter finished Connacht brought on old Glasgow favourite Dan Parks to a rousing reception.

With 10 minutes to go Jackson failed with a long penalty kick and three minutes later with a much closer effort.

Referee Dudley Phillips (Wales)
Attendance 3,904
Man of the Match Henry Pyrgos
Gordon Reid
Pat MacArthur
Ed Kalman
Leone Nakarawa
Tom Ryder
Robert Harley
Tyrone Holmes
Josh Strauss
Henry Pyrgos
Ruaridh Jackson
Rory Hughes
Mark Bennett
Richie Vernon
Lee Jones
Nikola Matawalu
Dougie Hall
Jerry Yanuyanutawa
Jon Welsh
James Eddie
Fraser Brown
Murray McConnell
Finn Russell
Scott Wight
Match Substitutions
Off On
Gordon Reid Jerry Yanuyanutawa
Off On
Pat MacArthur Dougie Hall
Off On
Ed Kalman Jon Welsh
Off On
Robert Harley James Eddie
Off On
Tyrone Holmes Fraser Brown
Off On
Lee Jones Finn Russell
Mark Bennett Try 
Ruaridh Jackson Penalty