Glasgow Warriors | Glasgow Warriors v Edinburgh Rugby

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

April 26, 2014

Glasgow Warriors 37 - 34 Edinburgh Rugby

GUINNESS PRO12 match played at Scotstoun on Saturday April 26th 2014 | No comments

Peter Murchie's second try secured the bonus point win for Glasgow
Glasgow Warriors went second in the PRO12, lifting the 1872 Cup in the process, thanks to a 37-32 win over Edinburgh.

Victory in the 1872 Cup will have no doubt delighted Gregor Townsend's men, but the five points and five tries will have pleased him more.

Warriors led 20-16 after the first leg back on boxing day, and increased their lead to seven when Finn Russell kicked an early penalty.

Their opening try came not long after. In the first real attack of the game, Glasgow moved the ball quickly into a wide position, with Peter Murchie spinning out of a challenge to touch down in the corner.

After another Russell penalty, it was becoming obvious why Edinburgh started the day four places below their old rivals. It was strange then that Townsend's side allowed themselves to concede a soft try.

Willem Nel capitalised on some complacent defending to put the visitors back in the game. Edinburgh improved markedly after their try, and were a whisker away from hitting the lead. Andries Strauss was millimetres from scoring, but his foot just hit the line before he grounded the ball. Greig Laidlaw's penalty did cut the lead to just one, though.

Glasgow's response was swift. Ruaridh Jackson threw a superb dummy before powering over the line from close range. Just to add insult to injury, Izak van der Westhuizen was sent to the bin for a high tackle before the try.

Another penalty by Laidlaw looked like it meant Edinburgh would trail by just three at half time, but Mark Bennett had the last say seconds before the break. The 21-year-old rounded off an impressive team move to give the Warriors a 23-13 lead.

Referee Mathieu Raynal was a central figure just after the interval, as he handed out his second yellow card of the evening to Edinburgh, with Mike Coman punished.

Murchie's second try of the night, a simple run in, had the win in the bag and a bonus point, which boosts Warriors' chances of a home semi-final. Matt Scott's try on the hour mark did show that the away side, who's season has fallen away in recent weeks, had some fight left in them.

Moray Low thought he had himself on the score sheet, but his effort was chalked off after a forward pass. It mattered little, as Rob Harley was over moments later to add some gloss to a superb win.

Tim Visser did have the last say, scoring two tries in a minute in a high scoring game.

Referee Mathieu Raynal (France)
Attendance 8,855
Man of the Match Jon Welsh
Ryan Grant
Dougie Hall
Jon Welsh
Jonny Gray
Alastair Kellock
Robert Harley
Chris Fusaro
Josh Strauss
Chris Cusiter
Ruaridh Jackson
Tommy Seymour
Finn Russell
Mark Bennett
Sean Maitland
Peter Murchie
Pat MacArthur
Jerry Yanuyanutawa
Moray Low
Leone Nakarawa
Ryan Wilson
Nikola Matawalu
Duncan Weir
Richie Vernon
Match Substitutions
Off On
Dougie Hall Pat MacArthur
Off On
Jon Welsh Moray Low
Off On
Chris Cusiter Nikola Matawalu
Off On
Alastair Kellock Leone Nakarawa
Off On
Chris Fusaro Ryan Wilson
Off On
Mark Bennett Richie Vernon
Off On
Ryan Wilson Jerry Yanuyanutawa
Off On
Ruaridh Jackson Duncan Weir
Finn Russell Penalty
Peter Murchie Try 
Finn Russell Penalty
Ruaridh Jackson Try 
Mark Bennett Try 
Finn Russell Conversion
Peter Murchie Try 
Finn Russell Conversion
Robert Harley Try 
Finn Russell Conversion