Glasgow Warriors | Connacht v Glasgow Warriors

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

April 25, 2015

Connacht 13 - 31 Glasgow Warriors

GUINNESS PRO12 match played at Sportsground on Saturday April 25th 2015 | No comments

Nikola Matawalu went over for two tries
Glasgow Warriors stayed on course for a home PRO12 play-off with a hard-fought win over Connacht in Galway this afternoon.

The bonus-point win puts Warriors back on top go the PRO12 table with two games of the regular season remaining.

Jack Carty scored two penalties in the first half for Connacht to give them some points on the board. Glasgow replied with three tries, two courtesy of Nikola Matawalu and one for Stuart Hogg to give the visitors a 6-19 lead at half time.

There was a try for the home side courtesy of former Glasgow lock Aly Muldowney in the second half but in the end, the visitors ran away with it with two further tries from Adam Ashe and Tommy Seymour.

Carty opened the scoring in the first half with a penalty for Connacht on six minutes and the fly-half was in again 10 minutes later.

Despite being dominated early on, Glasgow finally came on to the scoreboard after 24 minutes when a great series of passes drew the Connacht defence out of their lines and the quick pass out to Matawalu sent him straight over the line.

Finn Russell missed the conversion which meant Connacht were still in the lead by a single point but Carty then missed two more penalty opportunities to give them a healthier lead.

Connacht's defence was breached again when Seymour was able to skip his way through and Hogg was there in support to crash over the line.

Matawalu then managed to intercept a Connacht pass and raced way to dive over the line and score just before half time.

The 6-19 score line at half time not quite so reflective of Connacht's dominance in the first half but defensive errors had cost them dear.

The second half got off to a bad start for Glasgow when they had Seymour sent to the sin bin on 46 minutes and Connacht took advantage of the extra man.

Aly Muldowney was deemed to have grounded the ball over the line in the maul by the TMO and the score-line was reduced to just six points.

Almost as soon as Seymour came back on the field, Chris Fusaro was also shown a yellow card for a high tackle. Despite only having 14 men on the field, Josh Strauss managed to skip through the Connacht defence and passed the ball to Ashe who finished it off with the bonus point try for Glasgow.

After returning to the field, Seymour used his sheer power to smash over the line in the corner and put the game firmly out of Connacht's reach at 13-31.

Referee Marius Mitrea (Italy)
Man of the Match Henry Pyrgos
Jerry Yanuyanutawa
Fraser Brown
Euan Murray
Leone Nakarawa
Jonny Gray
Robert Harley
Chris Fusaro
Adam Ashe
Henry Pyrgos
Finn Russell
Nikola Matawalu
Peter Horne
Richie Vernon
Tommy Seymour
Stuart Hogg
Kevin Bryce
Ryan Grant
Jon Welsh
Tim Swinson
Josh Strauss
Duncan Weir
Peter Murchie
Lee Jones
Match Substitutions
Off On
Jerry Yanuyanutawa Ryan Grant
Off On
Euan Murray Jon Welsh
Off On
Fraser Brown Kevin Bryce
Off On
Robert Harley Josh Strauss
Off On
Leone Nakarawa Tim Swinson
Off On
Peter Horne Duncan Weir
Off On
Nikola Matawalu Lee Jones
Off On
Josh Strauss Peter Murchie