Glasgow Warriors | Ulster v Glasgow Warriors

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

October 11, 2014

Ulster 29 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

GUINNESS PRO12 match played at Ravenhill on Saturday October 11th 2014 | No comments

Finn Russell kicked Glasgow's points
Glasgow's winning start to the PRO12 campaign came to an end as they went down to Ulster in Belfast this evening.

Despite not being at their best the Warriors were still in the game going into the last quarter but two scores in as many minutes secured a deserved win for the Ulstermen.

All the first-half points came courtesy of Ulster's Ian Humphreys and Glasgow's Finn Russell.

Glasgow lock Leone Nakarawa was sin-binned midway through the half but their defence held firm with fourteen men and went in 15-6 down at half-time.

That nine point deficit was cut to six soon after the restart by Russell before Ulster's back line found their groove late on.

First it was Craig Gilroy, the replacement came off the bench beating two men on the way to his second try of the season. Humphreys added the extras and two minutes later he was lining up another conversion. It was Tommy Bowe who claimed the second and ultimately decisive try, the Irish winger picking up a loose ball to touch down under the posts.

Those two scores put the game beyond Glasgow who despite battling to the very end were unable to cross the tryline.

Ulster's victory moved them to within a point of Glasgow and left the Ospreys as the only side to have a perfect record in the PRO12.

Speaking to after the game, Gregor Townsend said: "In the first half I thought we were in their half a lot more than they were in ours and that was down to some very good attacking play.

"I thought our effort in defence was superb and we just didn't seem to get the rub of the green with the penalties and Ulster just nudged ahead.

"I did feel in the second half we were getting back into our game again and I thought we'd lift it up in the last 20 minutes, but unfortunately after Mark Bennett's injury we made a couple of errors and suddenly we had conceded 14 points, which it's very hard to come back from."

Next Saturday the Warriors take on Bath at Scotstoun in their first match of the new European Rugby Champions Cup competition.

Gregor added: "First of all the focus will be on recovery after a lot of effort went into tonight's game but we're really looking forward to the new European competition and it's fantastic that we're getting to play at home first against one of the form teams in Europe."

Referee Nigel Owens (Ireland)
Gordon Reid
Fraser Brown
Euan Murray
Tim Swinson
Leone Nakarawa
Robert Harley
Chris Fusaro
Josh Strauss
Henry Pyrgos
Finn Russell
Sean Lamont
Peter Horne
Mark Bennett
Tommy Seymour
Sean Maitland
Dougie Hall
Jerry Yanuyanutawa
Zander Fagerson
Jonny Gray
Adam Ashe
Nikola Matawalu
James Downey
DTH van der Merwe
Match Substitutions
Off On
Sean Lamont DTH van der Merwe
Off On
Tim Swinson Jonny Gray
Off On
Fraser Brown Dougie Hall
Off On
Peter Horne James Downey
Off On
Mark Bennett Nikola Matawalu
Off On
Gordon Reid Jerry Yanuyanutawa
Off On
Chris Fusaro Adam Ashe
Off On
Euan Murray Zander Fagerson