Glasgow Warriors | Newport Gwent Dragons v Glasgow Warriors

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site


September 20, 2014

Newport Gwent Dragons 13 - 33 Glasgow Warriors

GUINNESS PRO12 match played at Rodney Parade on Saturday September 20th 2014 | No comments

Josh Strauss went over for a try
Glasgow Warriors maintained their 100% winning start to the season with a 33-13 win over Newport Gwent Dragons at Rodney Parade this afternoon.

Four tries from Alex Dunbar, Josh Strauss, Tommy Seymour and Tim Swinson mean the Warriors return to Scotstoun with the bonus point.

Glasgow's other points came from the boots of Duncan Weir and Stuart Hogg.

The Warriors had to play most of the second-half with fourteen players after Tyrone Holmes received a controversial red card for stamping.

Glasgow took an early lead after moving the ball inside from the lineout before Dunbar found a gap in the Dragons defence to score the opening try of the game with Weir converting.

The Warriors extended their lead after 18 minutes through the boot of Weir before the Dragons got onto the scoreboard five minutes later with a penalty of their own through O'Brien.

Nikola Matawalu was unlucky not to score when he attempted to kick and chase down the line before being tackled late by Toby Faletau but the officials allowed play to continue.

The Warriors did get the chance to extend their lead a few minutes later after being awarded a penalty on the halfway line which Stuart Hogg converted.

The second half started in controversial fashion as Tyrone Holmes was sent off for stamping after being reviewed by the TMO.

The hosts had a couple of chances to close the gap, and after missing the first penalty, O'Brien scored with the second attempt.

Glasgow restored their 10-point cushion as Weir scored another penalty and after moving through the phases, the Warriors scored their second try of the game through Strauss with Weir adding the extras again.

The Dragons responded well and scored when Rees broke through the defence to go over and O'Brien converted to leave the hosts within 10, but any momentum built up by the home side was vanquished when Seymour went over in the corner to go three scores in front with 10 minutes to play.

Glasgow sealed the win and added a bonus point following a driving maul that saw Swinson go over, capping off a second win in Wales in six days and their third victory of the season.

After the match, Alex Dunbar said: “Losing Tyrone to a red card immediately after the interval was a big and disappointing blow.

“But we had talked in the build-up how important our character as a squad is and we were determined to put down a marker at a difficult venue.

“We did just that and it was that sheer character that got us through. We have had three great results without playing that well – and now we have to focus on keeping up the momentum.”

The win sees the Warriors go one point clear at the top of the PRO12 with second placed Connacht visiting Scotstoun next Friday.

Referee David Wilkinson (Ireland)
Attendance 5,885
Man of the Match Alex Dunbar
Gordon Reid
Kevin Bryce
Euan Murray
Tim Swinson
Leone Nakarawa
Robert Harley
Tyrone Holmes
Josh Strauss
Nikola Matawalu
Duncan Weir
DTH van der Merwe
Peter Horne
Alex Dunbar
Tommy Seymour
Stuart Hogg
Fraser Brown
Alex Allan
Rossouw de Klerk
James Eddie
Chris Fusaro
Adam Ashe
Henry Pyrgos
Lee Jones
Alex Dunbar Try 
Duncan Weir Conversion
Duncan Weir Penalty
Stuart Hogg Penalty
Duncan Weir Penalty
Josh Strauss Try 
Duncan Weir Conversion
Tommy Seymour Try 
Tim Swinson Try