Glasgow Warriors | Glasgow Warriors v Scarlets

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

September 05, 2015

Glasgow Warriors 10 - 16 Scarlets

GUINNESS PRO12 match played at Scotstoun on Saturday September 5th 2015 | No comments

Glenn Bryce went over for Glasgow's second try
Glasgow Warriors didn't get the start to the new PRO12 season they wanted as they lost out to Scarlets at Scotstoun this evening.

Twenty Warriors are included in various World Cup squads and Glasgow's supporting cast couldn't provide a winning to start to the defence of the PRO12 title.

The first half lacked the typical ferocity these sides usually create, but still saw plenty of expansive rugby despite the low score.

Aaron Shingler notched the game's first points, crashing over from close range through a crowd of Glasgow bodies after some well-worked pick-and-go work for the Scarlets forwards. Dan Jones sent his conversion attempt well wide, before Glasgow roused themselves into action.

But after absorbing a brief Warriors attacking spell, the visitors dictated the pace for the remainder of the contest. They asked questions of Glasgow at the breakdown and looking far more adventurous and inventive in attack.

Parkes doubled their lead when Jones' long cut-out pass found the winger in space, and after juggling possession briefly, touched down for try number two. Jones again was well wide of his target with the conversion.

Glasgow's first half woes continued when Grayson Hart, making his first appearance for the club following his move from Edinburgh in the summer, was sin-binned for a dangerous tackle and from the resulting penalty the Scarlets kicked to the corner before being awarded another penalty right in front of the posts after the Warriors were caught offside.

Jones kicked the simple penalty to put his side 13-0 up.

After the interval, the defending league champions finally displayed a flicker of the class and resourcefulness that had won them last year's title.

They built for several phases, showing quick ball retention, before prop Cusack squeezed over in the far right corner, although Scott Wight missed the conversion.

The remainder of the half played out small skirmishes in midfield as Scarlets pummelled and battered Glasgow up front.

Jones added his second penalty to extend the Scarlets lead to 11 points, before they were reduced to 13 men after prop Rob Evan and John Barclay were yellow-carded.

Glenn Bryce added a late touch down but despite Scarlets losing another player the Warriors ran out of time.

Referee Gary Conway (Ireland)
Attendance 6,582
Jerry Yanuyanutawa
Kevin Bryce
Michael Cusack
Robert Harley
Scott Cummings
Josh Strauss
Chris Fusaro
Adam Ashe
Grayson Hart
Scott Wight
Rory Hughes
Fraser Lyle
Peter Murchie
Lee Jones
Glenn Bryce
Fergus Scott
Alex Allan
Zander Fagerson
Kieran Low
Tyrone Holmes
Mike Blair
Rory Clegg
Robbie Fergusson
Match Substitutions
Off On
Rory Hughes Robbie Fergusson
Off On
Jerry Yanuyanutawa Alex Allan
Off On
Scott Wight Rory Clegg
Off On
Grayson Hart Mike Blair
Off On
Michael Cusack Zander Fagerson
Off On
Chris Fusaro Tyrone Holmes
Off On
Scott Cummings Kieran Low
Off On
Kevin Bryce Fergus Scott
Michael Cusack Try 
Glenn Bryce Try