Glasgow Warriors | Glasgow Warriors v Cardiff Blues

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site


March 06, 2016

Glasgow Warriors 27 - 20 Cardiff Blues

GUINNESS PRO12 match played at Scotstoun on Sunday March 6th 2016 | No comments

Tim Swinson grabbed Glasgow's second try
Glasgow Warriors recorded a valuable win on their return to Scotstoun but they will be disappointed to let the chance of a bonus-point slip away in today's PRO12 encounter with Cardiff Blues.

A bright opening brought Glasgow a try from prop Gordon Reid, the game fell away until the Warriors closed out the half with a try from lock Tim Swinson. Duncan Weir converted both scores as well as kicking two penalties to send his side into the break with an impressive 20-0 lead.

The second half only came alive in the last 10 minutes. In that period Cardiff scored three tries through winger Dan Fish, flanker Ellis Jenkins and replacement Macauley Cook but Glasgow were able to protect their lead thanks to a try from flanker Simone Favaro as the hosts held on for the win.

Glasgow were quickly into gear, scoring a penalty through Weir inside five minutes and then producing a try for Reid. The move began when hooker Fraser Brown slipped a tackle before Reid finished off.

Five minutes later a sparkling handling attack seemed to have been rounded off by Warriors centre Mark Bennett, but the television replay showed he had dropped the ball while touching down.

That error set the tone for the rest of the half, but Glasgow did go into the break leading by 20 points thanks to another Weir penalty and Swinson's score right on the stroke of half-time.

Good build-up play, marked by a drive from young prop Zander Fagerson, allowed lock Swinson to grab the try with Weir converting.

Glasgow could make nothing of territorial pressure from the restart and Cardiff steadily worked their way up the field for Rhys Patchell to kick a simple penalty on 55 minutes.

As the game progressed Glasgow became anxious as they searched for the bonus-point try, with Cardiff establishing their dominance at the set scrum.

The hosts still looked in control heading into the last 10 minutes, but Cardiff caused a few nervous moments as they ran in three tries.

The first came in the 75th minute when Cardiff winger Fish got to a kick-through for an unconverted try.

However, any hopes the Blues might have had of making further in-roads into Glasgow's lead were sunk almost immediately when their centre Aled Summerhill was sin-binned at the restart for pulling down an opponent.

Weir put the penalty to the corner and Glasgow drove the line-out over for a try from replacement flanker Favaro, which was converted by Weir.

Cardiff had the last word with two tries in the last four minutes from Jenkins and Cook, but it was too little too late.

The former was at the bottom of a pile following a successful maul and Cook got over in the corner after a series of breaks from the visitors.

Speaking after the game, Glasgow head coach Gregor Townsend said: “I’m pleased with the way we started the game. There was some really positive play in attack and we created a number of try-scoring opportunities.

“It was great to see us take the one just before half time, as we’d put a lot of pressure on Cardiff, but we’re obviously frustrated that we didn’t take more.

"We defended well in the first half too.

“I think it was about the 51st minute that we made a mistake at the scrum, and from there, the last half hour just wasn’t good enough.

"We didn’t hold onto the ball for long enough and it gave Cardiff a bit of hope.”

Today's win makes it three in a row in the PRO12 for Glasgow, and attention now turns to the visit of Leinster in a fortnight’s time

Gregor said: “The target today was to get the win. We knew Cardiff would be tough and they gave us a real test at the set piece. To get a win was hugely important, as it carries on the momentum we’ve built up in the last two games.

“We now go on a run where we’re playing teams above us, with one of them falling in the RBS 6 Nations window. It’ll be a challenge for both ourselves and Leinster to have so many players away with national squads, but to have two weeks training before then is a boost.

“We can really work on aspects of our game as well as work out how best to go about the Leinster game.”

Gregor also praised the work of the Scotstoun ground staff in ensuring that his side could play their first match at the stadium since December. He said: “It was really good to be back at our home.

"We know about the challenges with the pitch, and it’s a real credit to the ground staff for getting it ready for today’s game. Fingers crossed that it’ll be in even better condition in two weeks time.”

Referee Dudley Phillips (Ireland)
Attendance 6,492
Man of the Match Duncan Weir
Gordon Reid
Fraser Brown
Zander Fagerson
Tim Swinson
Greg Peterson
Robert Harley
Chris Fusaro
Leone Nakarawa
Henry Pyrgos
Duncan Weir
Lee Jones
Alex Dunbar
Mark Bennett
Rory Hughes
Peter Murchie
James Malcolm
Jerry Yanuyanutawa
Sila Puafisi
Scott Cummings
Simone Favaro
Mike Blair
Sam Johnson
Glenn Bryce
Match Substitutions
Off On
Chris Fusaro Simone Favaro
Off On
Alex Dunbar Sam Johnson
Off On
Zander Fagerson Sila Puafisi
Off On
Gordon Reid Jerry Yanuyanutawa
Off On
Henry Pyrgos Mike Blair
Off On
Tim Swinson Scott Cummings
Off On
Fraser Brown James Malcolm
Off On
Lee Jones Glenn Bryce
Duncan Weir Penalty
Gordon Reid Try 
Duncan Weir Conversion
Duncan Weir Penalty
Tim Swinson Try 
Duncan Weir Conversion
Simone Favaro Try 
Duncan Weir Conversion