Glasgow Warriors | Scarlets v Glasgow Warriors

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

December 19, 2015

Scarlets 6 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

Champions Cup match played at Parc y Scarlets on Saturday December 19th 2015 | No comments

Finn Russell kicked Glasgow's points
Glasgow Warriors marked their 100th game in the European Cup by doing the double over PRO12 rivals Scarlets to stay in the hunt for a quarter-final spot.

In appalling conditions at Parc y Scarlets, Gregor Townsend's team celebrated their century with four points and also made it back-to-back victories in the middle of the pool stages for the first time in 15 seasons as they triumphed 9-6.

But they were forced to dig deep in the second half when they were reduced to 13 men for seven minutes after ex-Scarlets player Sean Lamont and back-row man Simone Favaro were both sent to the sin-bin by French official Pascal Gauzere in the space of three minutes.

Lamont got his marching orders for playing the ball on the floor after a tackle and then Favaro followed him into the bin for a late charge on Aled Thomas after he had kicked ahead.

The win means the reigning PRO12 champions are back in the hunt for a quarter-final place after losing their opening game at home against Northampton.

They now sit in third place in Pool Three, one point behind Saints, with a game in hand, and three behind Racing 92, who they still have to play home and away.

The torrential rain meant there was never any likelihood of a repeat of the try-fest at Scotstoun the previous weekend and the first half turned into a battle of the kickers.

Finn Russell hit the mark with two out of three of his penalty attempts, while Thomas was wide with his one shot.

The Scarlets lost Thomas to the sin-bin after 28 minutes for cynically knocking the ball out of the hands of his opposite number Russell in a tackle, but the home side only conceded three points while he was off the field.

The game was still finely balanced at the break with the visitors 6-0 to the good and Russell extended the lead to nine points with his third success five minutes after the restart.

Then came the yellow cards and Thomas got the Scarlets off the mark with a penalty shortly after Lamont went off and then added a second moments before Fusaro returned.

That left the home side with 13 minutes to try to find a way to win the game and add to their one point from three games.

Thomas had a 45-metre kick at goal six minutes from the end, but pushed his kick wide.

After the match, Glasgow Warriors head coach Gregor Townsend said: "The Scarlets had the edge at the scrum in the first 20 minutes, but we got better as the game wore on. Overall I thought our set-piece was very good, especially our line-out.

"But we know we have to be better in the scrum given the two teams we have left to play in the pool, Northampton Saints and Racing 92."

"I thought both yellow cards were a bit harsh, but discipline is something we need to work on.

"We've just had two matches in terrible conditions and we can't play the rugby we want to play."

Referee Pascal Gauzerre (France)
Attendance 5,767
Man of the Match Alex Dunbar
Alex Allan
Fraser Brown
Sila Puafisi
Leone Nakarawa
Jonny Gray
Robert Harley
Simone Favaro
Josh Strauss
Mike Blair
Finn Russell
Sean Lamont
Alex Dunbar
Mark Bennett
Taqele Naiyaravoro
Tommy Seymour
Shalva Mamukashvili
Gordon Reid
Zander Fagerson
Tim Swinson
Ryan Wilson
Grayson Hart
Duncan Weir
Lee Jones
Match Substitutions
Off On
Jonny Gray Tim Swinson
Off On
Robert Harley Ryan Wilson
Off On
Mike Blair Grayson Hart
Off On
Alex Allan Gordon Reid
Off On
Finn Russell Duncan Weir
Off On
Sila Puafisi Zander Fagerson
Off On
Alex Dunbar Lee Jones
Finn Russell Penalty
Finn Russell Penalty
Finn Russell Penalty