Glasgow Warriors | Glasgow Warriors v Cardiff Blues

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site


December 01, 2017

Glasgow Warriors 40 - 16 Cardiff Blues

GUINNESS PRO12 match played at Scotstoun on Friday December 1st 2017 | No comments

Samuela Vunisa went over for a try
Warriors made it ten wins from ten PRO14 games after tonight's bonus-point win over 14-man Cardiff at Scotstoun.

An early penalty by Jarrod Evans and try by Macauley Cook, converted by Evans, allowed the visitors to build an early lead at Scotstoun.

Glasgow scored a try through Sam Johnson before Blues prop Taufa'ao Filise saw red on the half-hour mark, and Alex Dunbar also touched down - both scores converted by Peter Horne - to give the hosts a 14-13 lead at the break.

A third penalty from Evans soon after the restart briefly restored the visitors' advantage, but Glasgow's extra man soon told and further tries from Ruaridh Jackson, Samuela Vunisa, Leonardo Sarto and Nikola Matawalu put them out of sight.

Cardiff took the lead within two minutes, Evans making no mistake after Glasgow were penalised at the first ruck. The Blues stretched their lead on seven minutes when a passing move from right to left ended with centre Willis Halaholo putting in Cook in the corner, from where Evans kicked a good conversion.

Glasgow clicked as the quarter ended. A kick to the wing by fly-half Horne was fielded by centre Johnson, who beat two men on the left before touching down.

Horne added the extras. Evans kicked a long penalty three minutes later, but the Blues were dealt a blow in the 30th minute when they were reduced to 14 men.

Filise, who already had two sin-binnings to his name this term, was adjudged - after a long study of TV replays - to have used a swinging arm to the head of Glasgow hooker George Turner, who left the pitch not to return.

Two minutes later Horne found Callum Gibbins on the right touchline and he sent Dunbar over for the try that Horne converted to edge the Warriors ahead at the interval.

Depite their numerical disadvantage, Cardiff went ahead eight minutes into the second period through Evans' third penalty. However, Glasgow tightened the screw with a number of penalties leading to a sin-binning for Cardiff flanker Olly Robinson on 54 minutes.

Glasgow immediately struck, with full-back Jackson dotting down after 55 minutes and substitute flanker Vunisa getting in on the act to ensure the bonus point 12 minutes from time. Further tries from Sarto and Matawalu in the final three minutes, the latter converted by Horne, added gloss to the scoreline.

Referee Nigel Owens (Wales)
Attendance 7,351
Man of the Match Ruaridh Jackson
Alex Allan
George Turner
Siua Halanukonuka
Kiran McDonald
Scott Cummings
Matt Smith
Callum Gibbins
Ryan Wilson
Henry Pyrgos
Peter Horne
Lelia Masaga
Alex Dunbar
Sam Johnson
Leonardo Sarto
Ruaridh Jackson
James Malcolm
Jamie Bhatti
D'arcy Rae
Hamilton Burr
Samuela Vunisa
George Horne
Adam Hastings
Nikola Matawalu
Match Substitutions
Off On
George Turner James Malcolm
Off On
Matt Smith Samuela Vunisa
Off On
Alex Allan Jamie Bhatti
Off On
Siua Halanukonuka D'arcy Rae
Off On
Henry Pyrgos George Horne
Off On
Lelia Masaga Nikola Matawalu
Off On
Sam Johnson Adam Hastings
Off On
Scott Cummings Hamilton Burr
Sam Johnson Try 
Peter Horne Conversion
Alex Dunbar Try 
Peter Horne Conversion
Ruaridh Jackson Try 
Peter Horne Conversion
Samuela Vunisa Try 
Peter Horne Conversion
Leonardo Sarto Try 
Nikola Matawalu Try 
Peter Horne Conversion