Glasgow Warriors | Edinburgh v Glasgow Warriors

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

December 23, 2017

Edinburgh 18 - 17 Glasgow Warriors

GUINNESS PRO14 match played at Murrayfield on Saturday December 23rd 2017 | No comments

Scott Cummings went over for Glasgow's second try
Glasgow's unbeaten PRO14 run came to an end as they went down to Edinburgh at Murrayfield this evening.

The Warriors made a perfect start to the game when centre Huw Jones scored in the second minute in his PRO14 debut. Things went from bad to worse for Edinburgh when Simon Berghan received a red card in the fifth minute for a stamp on the head of Fraser Brown. But being forced to play with 14 men for 75 minutes seemed to galvanise the hosts.

Sam Hidalgo Clyne kicked a penalty as Edinburgh cut the Warriors' lead to 7-3 at half-time.

The kickers traded penalties early in the second half and Edinburgh's defence couldn't prevent the Warriors from scoring through a catch and drive by Scott Cumming but the home side responded immediately through Nathan Fowles, keeping the difference to four points.

Then, in the 78th minute, the hosts launched one last attack from a lineout close to the tryline. With the referee calling an advantage for Edinburgh following adriving maul, the Glasgow players inexcusably stopped playing, thinking the whistle had gone for a penalty. Spotting the lapse in concentration, Edinburgh's Chris Dean broke away from the maul and scored the winning try in the corner.

Glasgow Warriors head coach Dave Rennie admits his team were well below-par, with and without the ball, against their inter-city foes.

"Incredibly disappointing, we just really lacked an edge tonight," was Rennie's assessment of Glasgow's display. "We didn't defend as well as we have been.

"I don't know whether scoring early and playing against 14, in the back of the mind they thought it was going to be a little bit easier than it was.

"You've got to give credit to Edinburgh, they hung in there and our discipline in giving away penalties late in the game allowed them to get into the corner and they were good enough to score from there.

"We're not looking for excuses. In the end, we just weren't sharp enough, we didn't have that physical edge without the ball.

"I felt we kicked a lot of ball away aimlessly. When they were down to 14, we needed to ask some questions, kick smart, find some space and we didn't do that well enough. We get a chance for redemption in seven days' time."

Referee Frank Murphy (Ireland)
Jamie Bhatti
Fraser Brown
Zander Fagerson
Scott Cummings
Jonny Gray
Robert Harley
Matt Smith
Samuela Vunisa
Ali Price
Peter Horne
Lee Jones
Alex Dunbar
Huw Jones
Tommy Seymour
Ruaridh Jackson
Pat MacArthur
Oli Kebble
Siua Halanukonuka
Kiran McDonald
Chris Fusaro
Henry Pyrgos
Finn Russell
Nikola Matawalu
Match Substitutions
Off On
Alex Dunbar Finn Russell
Off On
Jamie Bhatti Oli Kebble
Off On
Tommy Seymour Nikola Matawalu
Off On
Zander Fagerson Siua Halanukonuka
Off On
Ali Price Henry Pyrgos
Off On
Samuela Vunisa Chris Fusaro
Off On
Scott Cummings Kiran McDonald
Huw Jones Try 
Peter Horne Conversion
Peter Horne Penalty
Scott Cummings Try 
Finn Russell Conversion