Glasgow Warriors | Edinburgh v Glasgow Warriors

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

December 22, 2018

Edinburgh 23 - 7 Glasgow Warriors

GUINNESS PRO14 match played at Murrayfield on Saturday December 22nd 2018 | No comments

Peter Horne went over for a try
Glasgow Warriors went down 23-7 to Edinburgh after a disappointing display at Murrayfield.

Two intercepted tries from Duhan van der Merwe gave Edinburgh the win and first blood in this season's 1872 Cup.

The South African plucked two Adam Hastings passes out of the air as his scores either side of half-time killed Glasgow hopes.

Glasgow did have a moment to savour after the Horne brothers delivered a stunning try on Peter’s 150th appearance but the defeat will leave supporters frustrated over the festive period.

Edinburgh started the brighter of the two teams and were rewarded with the first penalty of the match after a Robert Harley infringement at the ruck.

Jaco van der Walt made it 3-0.

Glasgow's first real attack resulted in a try at the other end when Hastings' pass was intercepted by Van der Merwe who ran 60 metres to score.

Another penalty from Van der Walt made it 13-0 with 20 minutes played.

Glasgow eventually got on the scoreboard when the Horne brothers combined with George putting a chip kick over Edinburgh’s defence for brother Peter to catch and score on his 150th appearance for the club. Hastings added an easy conversion to bring the scores back to 13-7.

Callum Gibbins was sent to the sin-bin ten minutes into the second half for an offside as he tried to interrupt another Van der Merwe attack to leave Edinburgh with a numerical advantage and Van der Walt capitalised immediately, knocking over the resulting penalty.

In almost identical circumstances as the first half, Van der Merwe plucked another Hastings pass out of the air to go in for his second try. Van der Walt added two more to make it 23-7.

Glasgow head coach Dave Rennie felt his side's performance was a "massive disappointment" after five successive wins.

"It was well under the intensity and accuracy we've been playing with over the last few months," Rennie told BBC Scotland.

"We defended well for long patches but the disappointment was on attack. We knew they were going to kick a lot of ball to us and knew how they were going to defend, but we got too lateral, tried to throw passes over the top and they got picked off. We created our own problems.

"We didn't work quickly enough to get into position to expose them in areas where we thought we could. I'm not sure why. We have been really sharp. We'll have to get that right for next week."

Rennie backed Adam Hastings to react well to the setback of conceding two interception scores.

"From a distribution point of view he has ended up going lateral and falling off a pass," he added.

"It is an easy fix. He works really hard on that part of his game and I am sure he will bounce back pretty quickly."

Rennie is giving his side four days off before they return to training on Thursday before next Saturday's return game at Scotstoun.

"That should leave a bit of time for some soul-searching over Christmas," he added. "Hopefully we can put it behind us."

Referee Mike Adamson (Scotland)
Oli Kebble
Grant Stewart
Siua Halanukonuka
Robert Harley
Jonny Gray
Adam Ashe
Callum Gibbins
Matt Fagerson
George Horne
Adam Hastings
DTH van der Merwe
Peter Horne
Nick Grigg
Tommy Seymour
Stuart Hogg
Kevin Bryce
Jamie Bhatti
D'arcy Rae
Tim Swinson
Chris Fusaro
Ali Price
Huw Jones
Nikola Matawalu
Match Substitutions
Off On
Oli Kebble Jamie Bhatti
Off On
Siua Halanukonuka D'arcy Rae
Off On
Robert Harley Tim Swinson
Off On
Adam Hastings Huw Jones
Off On
George Horne Ali Price
Off On
Tommy Seymour Nikola Matawalu
Off On
Adam Ashe Chris Fusaro
Off On
DTH van der Merwe Kevin Bryce
Peter Horne Try 
Adam Hastings Conversion