Glasgow Warriors | Glasgow Warriors v Cardiff Blues

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

October 12, 2019

Glasgow Warriors 17 - 13 Cardiff Blues

GUINNESS PRO14 match played at Scotstoun on Saturday October 12th 2019 | No comments

Kiran McDonald put in a good shift in the Glasgow pack
Glasgow Warriors posted their first win of the PRO14 season with a hard-fought win over Cardiff Blues at Scotstoun this evening.

Early converted tries from Callum Gibbins and Nick Frisby set the Warriors on their way and they held on after Cardiff Blues had reduced the deficit to four points just after half-time.

Glasgow came into the match on the back of consecutive defeats, going down heavily away to the Cheetahs before losing 25-21 at home to the Scarlets.

However, the Warriors had not lost back-to-back matches at Scotstoun since 2016 and they looked determined to extend that record as they went 14-0 up inside eight minutes as first captain Gibbins touched down following a line-out drive and Frisby followed him over soon after.

Frisby's score came after Glasgow received the restart kick from Gibbins' try, swept upfield and saw centre Nick Grigg burst forward before setting up his scrum-half to dot down.

Brandon Thomson converted both and Glasgow looked to be in total control.

Cardiff Blues hit back almost immediately when, with their first major piece of possession, the Blues pack pushed forward from a line-out before the ball was switched wide to Aled Summerhill, who touched down by the posts after coming off his wing.

Jarrod Evans added the extras and he also slotted over a straightforward 20th-minute penalty as the Blues went into the break 14-10 down.

The start of the second half saw Thomson and Evans exchange penalties to leave Glasgow 17-13 ahead and with plenty of time for either side to push for victory.

In the 52nd minute the Warriors began a prolonged stay in the Welsh 22 but, having opted against two kickable penalty, they ended up with no points at all after the ball had been held up.

Cardiff's hopes of getting anything from the match suffered a big setback in the 68th minute when lock Rory Thornton was sin-binned after tackling Ruaridh Jackson in the air.

Glasgow turned down the penalty and again their forward drives came to nothing against determined Welsh defence, but in the end the Warriors had done enough to open their win account for the season.

Referee Sean Gallagher (Ireland)
Attendance 6,708
Alex Allan
Grant Stewart
Adam Nicol
Robert Harley
Kiran McDonald
Bruce Flockhart
Callum Gibbins
Matt Fagerson
Nick Frisby
Brandon Thomson
Rory Hughes
Stafford McDowall
Nick Grigg
Kyle Steyn
Ruaridh Jackson
Johnny Matthews
George Thornton
D'arcy Rae
Tim Swinson
Chris Fusaro
Jamie Dobie
Huw Jones
Glenn Bryce
Match Substitutions
Off On
Alex Allan George Thornton
Off On
Bruce Flockhart Chris Fusaro
Off On
Nick Frisby Jamie Dobie
Off On
Adam Nicol D'arcy Rae
Off On
Rory Hughes Glenn Bryce
Off On
Nick Grigg Huw Jones
Off On
Grant Stewart Johnny Matthews
Off On
Kiran McDonald Tim Swinson
Callum Gibbins Try 
Brandon Thomson Conversion
Nick Frisby Try 
Brandon Thomson Conversion
Brandon Thomson Penalty