Glasgow Warriors | Leinster v Glasgow

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

April 02, 2004

Leinster 31 - 30 Glasgow Warriors

GUINNESS PRO14 match played at Donnybrook on Friday April 2nd 2004 | No comments
Leinster recorded back-to-back Celtic League wins for the first time since November, edging out Glasgow 31-30 in a six-try thriller at Donnybrook.

It is a second loss in the space of seven days against Irish sides for Glasgow, following last weekend's defeat at the hands of Munster.

Having twice gone in front, the visitors saw Ben Gissing, James Norton and replacement James Downey cross the whitewash - with six out of seven kicks from scrum-half Brian O'Meara completing Leinster's win.

In a low-key opening which saw Leinster outside-half Matt Leek off injured with an ankle injury, Gary Ella's charges took the lead four minutes later with a 15-metre penalty from O'Meara, just left of centre.

Glasgow however struck for a 14-6 lead after 25 minutes against the run of play, chalking up their first try in the 18th minute.

A fine Dan Parks touch saw the Scots claim line-out ball, and full-back Glenn Metcalfe chipped forward to glean a fortunate rebound off Felipe Contepomi to go under the posts.

Parks converted and following a second O'Meara penalty and flanker Donnie Macfadyen's third sin-binning of the competition in the 23rd minute, Glasgow hooker Gordon Bulloch managed to step inside Norton to bulldoze over.

Scottish international Parks again converted but Leinster ended the half in front - with nine minutes of the first period left lock Gissing crashed over in the left corner after a quick O'Meara tap.

The scrum half converted and Norton claimed his third try in two games in the 35th minute for an 18-14 lead.

Parks ran matters after the restart, chipping in with 10 quickfire points.

He started with a 43rd-minute penalty - with Leinster hooker Peter Coyle outpaced by Jon Petrie on the right flank, the Glasgow skipper's offload saw Parks touch down and convert for a six-point advantage.

Four minutes shy of the hour mark the Lions regained the lead through replacement Downey, touching down for his first provincial try off a Gary Brown inside flick.

O'Meara's kick clipped Leinster in front by a single point into the drizzle.

O'Meara and Parks, who finished with 20 points, exchanged penalties with the Scot twice closing the gap back to one point in the 74th and 79th minutes.

Parks had a chance four minutes into injury time to steal the win - but his kick went to the right of the posts.

Referee N.Williams (Wal)
Attendance 4,500
Man of the Match Dan Parks/
Euan Murray
Gordon Bulloch
Andrew Kelly
Andy Hall
Nathan Ross
Roly Reid
Donnie Macfadyen
Jon Petrie
Graeme Beveridge
Dan Parks
Sean Lamont
Andrew Henderson
Graeme Morrison
Dave Millard
Glenn Metcalfe
Scott Lawson
Matt Proudfoot
Joe Beardshaw
Rory Mackay
Mark McMillan
Gareth Maclure
Calvin Howarth
Match Substitutions
Off On
Andy Hall Rory Mackay
Glenn Metcalfe Try 
Dan Parks Conversion
Gordon Bulloch Try 
Dan Parks Conversion
Dan Parks Penalty
Dan Parks Try 
Dan Parks Conversion
Dan Parks Penalty
Dan Parks Penalty

Add a comment to this article