Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

January 30, 2005

Glasgow Warriors 27 - 27 The Ospreys

Celtic League match played at Hughenden on Saturday January 29th 2005 | 3 comments

Calvin had another convincing performance at stand-off for Glasgow
Glasgow had a victory over league leaders, The Ospreys within reach last night, only for the visitors to grab a last minute score to hold their hosts to a draw.

The Glasgow players have only themselves to blame as they let the visitors race away to a 10-0 lead in the opening few minutes of the match. While they worked hard to reel them in, they should never have given them such a start.

A host of Glasgow youngsters did their prospects of getting a pro contract no harm at all, although that presumes we have some professional rugby next year. Hawks duo Steve Swindall and Colin Shaw probably play better for the city side than they do for their club. The fullback epitomised the fighting spirit in the team following up one of his own kicks so aggressively that he charged the opposition's clearance.

Furthermore, if Calvin Howarth can duplicate this sort of composure and incision at international level - and that is obviously a big if - he would be the answer to many of Scotland's most pressing problems. He also showed a sight more pace than either of the current incumbents offer and if he can sort out the top two inches, he might yet come into Williams' reckoning.

The first score came after three minutes. From an attacking lineout, the Ospreys set up a rolling maul that was going nowhere fast thanks to some stout defence from the home side. Sadly, so many of them were dragged into the close-quarter stuff that visiting scrum-half Richard Rees was able to nip up the blindside and score a try in the corner entirely unopposed.

Fly-half Shaun Connor made good the extras and added another three with a penalty before Glasgow had even woken up and started playing. Evidently the ten-point lead was the trigger because the home side showed they could play especially if your name was Scott.

Scott Barrow, in his first game back since the corresponding fixture at the beginning of the season, looked sharp and made several telling contributions including one superb clearance that went half the length of the pitch.

Scott Lawson was the pick of the forwards, with the little hooker making light of his lack of inches to make huge inroads every time he had the ball in hand. He also only just failed to hold a Graeme Morrison pass that would have sent him over the visitors' line. Still Glasgow looked vulnerable in the wide channel where the home side appeared to play short-handed.

Their first try wasn't long in coming, although in took some individual magic from scrum-half Graeme Beveridge to inspire it. He collected an Ospreys chip and streaked through a mass of defenders who seemed rooted to the spot and he rounded it off with a sidestep that left one Welshman literally clutching at thin air. With the last man to beat, Beveridge fed Joe Beardshaw on the right wing and the big lock dived over in the corner.

Howarth nailed the touchline conversion and with half their team on international duty, the league leaders suddenly looked vulnerable. Still Connor's second penalty ensured that the teams went into the half-time dressing room at 13-apiece.

The Ospreys had the second-half slope at Hughenden but the home team struck first in bizarre circumstances. The referee signalled that a throw-in at a lineout hadn't been straight but in reality the "throw" had been a simple pass from the edge of the field, there had been no lineout. From this mistake, Glasgow set up a running maul in the middle of the park, Kenny Logan was catapulted from this mass of bodies towards the opposition posts and showed a turn of pace that no-one had expected to reach the tryline. The Ospreys struck back through a well-worked try for their popular prop Andrew Milward, who was celebrating his 50th Celtic League appearance for the Welsh outfit, and the sides went into the final quarter level pegging once again.

The home side threw everything at the Welshmen. Rory Lamont took a superb cross kick from Howarth but couldn't quite get his pass away. Howarth himself kicked ahead and was only just beaten to the touchdown by Terblanche and Swindall put two tackles in on Barry Williams and Adrian Durston that must have loosened their fillings.

Eventually the breakthrough came with Howarth dummying inside before feeding Rory Lamont on the wide left and the winger burst over the opposition line. Howarth made no mistake and Glasgow had a seven-point lead to defend for fifteen odd minutes which they just failed to do when Terblanche struck with the referee already checking his watch.

Glasgow boss Hugh Campbell admitted to mixed emotions after the match.

The coach declared: "We let them get off to a flier and after 10 minutes I wondered if we could get anything at all from the game.

"But when we settled we played some great rugby.

"The guys deserved a victory but you also have to give Ospreys credit for the way they approached the match.

"Both teams tried to throw the ball around. There were a lot of mistakes but it was a good tussle for the crowd."

Match report taken from Iain Morrison's article in The Scotsman.

Referee George Clancy (Ireland)
Attendance 1715
Man of the Match Scott Barrow had a classy performance on his return for Glasgow
Kevin Tkachuk
Scott Lawson
Andy Kelly
Joe Beardshaw
Dan Turner
Steve Swindall
Cammy Mather
Paul Dearlove
Graeme Beveridge
Calvin Howarth
Kenny Logan
Scott Barrow
Graeme Morrison
Rory Lamont
Colin Shaw
Fergus Thomson
Ben Prescott
Andy Hall
John Beattie
Alasdhair MacFarlane
Andrew Henderson
Dave Millard
Match Substitutions
Off On
Paul Dearlove John Beattie
Off On
Scott Barrow Andrew Henderson
Off On
Andy Kelly Ben Prescott
Off On
Joe Beardshaw Andy Hall
Calvin Howarth Penalty
Calvin Howarth Penalty
Joe Beardshaw Try 
Calvin Howarth Conversion
Kenny Logan Try 
Calvin Howarth Conversion
Rory Lamont Try 
Calvin Howarth Conversion
Posted by jamesb on January 30, 2005 03:43 PM | Reply to this comment

a very entertaining game towards the end despite its dragging a bit in both halfs, great try from rory L, he had a good game

Posted by vicki on January 30, 2005 09:25 PM | Reply to this comment

A great game, and it was a shame Calvin didn't manage to slot that drop goal - he'd have been the hero of the night! Another great try from Joe Beardshaw!

Posted by gordon on January 30, 2005 09:33 PM | Reply to this comment

Great stuff from Joe Beardshaw - unsung hero along with guys like Andy Kelly, Kevin Tkachuk and Dan Turner...

Add a comment to this article

If you're replying to an existing comment, please use the 'Reply to this comment' link above the entry. This will display the comments in a way which is far easier for other readers to follow.