Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

September 20, 2004

Glasgow Warriors 26 - 21 Newcastle

Development match played at Hughenden on Monday September 20th 2004 | No comments
Despite the weather, a blustery wind with regular heavy showers, an entertaining, enthusiastic game of rugby was played at Hughenden this evening. It was a development match in which Glasgow beat Newcastle Falcons by four tries to three.

Just as much as the result, what mattered most was that it was the opportunity for a mix of players not only to try to enhance individual reputations but also to come together in a type of contest different from that which they are used to. That was especially so for the club players among the Glasgow numbers. Of those, none did more than Ally Maclay, the Glasgow Hawks centre, and Shawn Renwick, Stirling County’s No.8.

Among Glasgow’s contracted players, Rory Lamont made the most of his first game since signing on the dotted line to join his brother in the professional ranks. He was a constant threat, whether as full back or – for the last half-hour – on the right wing.

Glasgow had the better of the first half, leading 14-0 at the interval, and they might have been disappointed in themselves that they did not make more the wind advantage, especially after John Beattie’s early try. Calvin Howarth’s thrust off a close-range lineout provided the scope for the young flanker to power in to the left of the posts. Howarth added the conversion.

That was after nine minutes, and it was half an hour later before Glasgow scored again. It would have been slightly earlier had not David Millard not put a foot in touch as he was running in for a try off Andy Craig’s break on the left.

Just before half-time, though, Maclay charged through to score from a goal-line ruck. Howarth again converted.

Almost from the second-half kick-off Glasgow scored again. Howarth struck a kick wide to the left for Millard, who gathered on the run and escaped from full back Ed Burrill with a classic hand-off. Again Howarth converted.

But only six minutes later Newcastle were back in range. Danny Brown scored in a forward drive, and Lee Dickson, the Scotland under-21 scrum half, finished off a fluid attack with Falcons’ second try.

Toby Flood kicked both conversions, but Glasgow stretched away again in 54 minutes after Lamont’s thrust down the right touchline. Craig finished off with the try wide on the right, but Howarth’s conversion kick fell short.

Newcastle had the last word, less than five minutes from the end, when they exploited untypical loose tackle for a Jonny Williams try. Again Flood converted.

Cammy Mather did not, after all, make his return to rugby for Glasgow tonight after four months’ absence because of an ankle injury. The Scotland back-row forward is still not ready.

Glasgow Rory Lamont; Steven Manning, Andy Craig, Ally Maclay, David Millard; Calvin Howarth, Graeme Beveridge; Elliot McLaren, Ferguson Thomson, Fraser Mackinnon, James Eddie, Sandy Warnock, John Beattie, Shawn Renwick, Neil McKenzie. Substitutes (all used) – Colin Shaw, Colin Gregor, Alasdhair McFarlane, Andrew Kelly, Stuart Fenwick, Donald Malcolm, Andrew Wilson, Alan Kelly, Stevie Swindall.

Tries, Beattie, Craig, Maclay, Millard; conversions, Howarth (3).

Newcastle Falcons Ed Burrill; Amarveer Ladhar, Adam Dehaty, Mark Laycock, Stephen Jones; Toby Flood, Lee Dickson; Jonny Williams, Rob Vickers, Ed Kalman, Andy Buist, Goeff Parling, Eni Gesinde, Greg Irwin, Ed Williamson. Substitutes – Danny Brown, Rupert Neville, Mark Darlington, Gareth Kerr, Jason Smithson, Jack Harrison, Jamie Rennie, Stuart Walker.

Tries, Brown, Dickson, Williams; conversions, Flood (3).

From the Glasgow Rugby website.

Comments are closed for this article