Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

August 19, 2006

Glasgow Warriors 13 - 7 Newcastle Falcons

Friendly match played at Burnbrae on Friday August 18th 2006 | 4 comments

Al Kellock led Glasgow to a confidence-boosting win
Glasgow Warriors survived a late onslaught to claim a confidence boosting pre- season triumph over Jonny Wilkinson and Co at rain-lashed Burnbrae last night.

All eyes were on the World Cup hero as he embarked on his latest comeback quest, and the good news for England and Newcastle supporters is that he emerged unscathed from his 80-minute work-out.

But it was the 2,000 home fans who were even happier when the final whistle sounded in the wake of a heartening display by their team in the build-up to the Magners League. Glasgow broke the deadlock after only two minutes with a straightforward penalty by stand-off Dan Parks when the Falcons were guilty of failing to free the ball quickly enough at the tackle scene.

There was an even bigger roar from the home fans as flanker Stevie Swindall showed off his pace and power to floor Wilkinson with a hefty challenge inside his own danger zone.

New signing from Wasps, Thom Evans, then got in on the act by clattering Newcastle winger Ollie Phillips - in another example of Glasgow's determined defence.

Parks was wide with another penalty attempt, but made amends in the 26th minute from a tricky angle after the visitors were pressured into going offside on the ground.

Glasgow maintained the momentum after the break, particularly through the speed of Evans and they deservedly stretched their advantage.

Mike Roberts was illegally bodychecked as he chased his own chip and Parks sent the penalty to the corner.

The line-out was superbly controlled, allowing flanker Donnie Macfadyen to get the vital touch. Parks was again on target from close to the touchline to open up a 13-point gap.

But in the worsening conditions, Newcastle burst back into the contest when Phillips latched on to a scrambled clearance to cruise 40 metres for the try, which was goaled by Wilkinson to set up a tense finale.

Falcons were camped inside the home 22-area for a ten-minute spell and opted for a series of scrums instead of giving Wilkinson further pots at goal.

But the Glasgow defence continued to hold firm and held on for the win.

Report from The Scotsman

Referee Andy Ireland
Attendance 1,843
Justin Va'a
Fergus Thomson
Euan Murray
Andy Newman
Alastair Kellock
Steve Swindall
Donnie Macfadyen
John Beattie
Sam Pinder
Dan Parks
Mike Roberts
Andrew Henderson
Graeme Morrison
Thom Evans
Francisco Leonelli
Glasgow used the following replacements
Backs Colin Shaw, Hefin O'Hare.
Forwards Kevin Tkachuk, Jon Petrie, Stuart Corsar, Dan Turner, Andy Wilson, John Barclay.
Dan Parks Penalty
Dan Parks Penalty
Donnie Macfadyen Try 
Dan Parks Conversion
Posted by GMJ on August 19, 2006 07:41 AM | Reply to this comment

Great evening at Burnbrae, apart from the weather (summer rugby?)

Pitch in good condition. Parking not a problem neither was there any major traffic problems when leaving the ground. Good stand by venue for us, if required at anytime.

Only minus point to evening was the absolute disgraceful manner in which one of the young female stewards, was treated by two sepctators, when she asked them to move from the front of the stand. One male in particular, asked who she thought she was asking him to move, as he was a member and a coach at the club, and she had no right to speak to him, etc.

Needless to say he did not move!

The right or wrongs of the Security staff request to move, may be debated, however when Glasgow are at the ground, it does not matter what ones position is at the venue, they do not have anything to do with what goes on . That responsibility is with Glasgow Rugby , who instruct the stewards/club what is required.

However suppose there is always one bad apple in a barrel

Great start to season. Hope good performance and winning continue.

Posted by vicki on August 19, 2006 10:49 AM | Reply to this comment

Impressed by the near 2000 strong crowd who braved the elements to cheer on the Warriors! Considering the numbers who came to Firhill, it seems like this season could see the support returning to watch Glasgow - at Hughenden!!!

Thought West was a great ground, but the lack of flood lights will make it unlikely we will be able to use the ground for Friday nigt rugby.

Posted by sunday5 on August 19, 2006 12:06 PM | Reply to this comment

What a great afternoon! I was surprised when the Glasgow 2nds humped Newcastle in the first game and they did hump them but was over the moon with the Warriors performance in the full fixture. The new Captain made all the differance, Kellock was outstanding in the lineouts. Bit tense at the end though!
Well done Glasgow.

Posted by sharifa on August 20, 2006 12:03 AM | Reply to this comment

This was my first rugby match and i was very impressed. Looking forward to the next match. Hopefully by then i will have read the rules of rugby and understand it a bit better. What a friendly bunch of players, who work so well as a team. Good luck with the training xx

Add a comment to this article

If you're replying to an existing comment, please use the 'Reply to this comment' link above the entry. This will display the comments in a way which is far easier for other readers to follow.