Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

October 13, 2006

Ospreys 26 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

Celtic League match played at Liberty Stadium on Friday October 13th 2006 | 2 comments

Colin Gregor kicked all Glasgow's points before limping off
The Ospreys preserved their unbeaten home record in the Magners League with a bonus point win over Glasgow Warriors at the Liberty Stadium, Swansea.

The Welsh region, given confidence by a twinkle-toed performance by Shane Williams, had opened up a 21-9 lead at half-time with three converted tries.

They had to wait until the 78th minute to register the fourth try - the only score of the second period - and the bonus point.

But the Ospreys started poorly, going 6-0 down after leaking two Colin Gregor penalty goals in the first nine minutes.

The hosts seemed to get their game on track when a pick-up in his own half by James Hook resulted in Scotsman Nikki Walker breezing in for their opening try.

Glasgow nipped back into the lead for a second time only two minutes later when Gregor converted a third penalty before limping off.

But for the rest of the half it was all Ospreys as they scored two more tries in the space of nine minutes.

First a period of pressure was converted by a try for centre Scott Parker, celebrating his 50th appearance for the Welsh region.

Good work by New Zealander Filo Tiatia saw his fellow countryman Justin Marshall go on a run to the left corner. When he was brought down just metres short, the hard-working Tandy was on hand to score the third try.

Glasgow missed an opportunity to close the half-time gap to just nine points when Dan Parks missed a penalty in injury time.

The Ospreys went in search of a bonus point but it took them until the 14th minute of the second half to get their first chance.

Henson made a 40-metre break and a try looked certain but his pass outside failed to find Tandy wide open in the Glasgow 22.

But that was a rare opportunity as Glasgow, who had off-loaded their whole replacements bench 16 minutes from time, seemed to get stronger.

The Ospreys finally broke the second-half deadlock, however, grabbing the bonus point with a fine set-piece move from a five-metre scrum which saw man of the match Shane Williams go over in the right corner.

Referee Allan Lewis (Ireland)
Attendance 6,288
Justin Va'a
Fergus Thomson
Euan Murray
Andy Newman
Alastair Kellock
Andy Wilson
John Barclay
John Beattie
Graeme Beveridge
Colin Gregor
Thom Evans
Scott Barrow
Graeme Morrison
Hefin O'Hare
Rory Lamont
Scott Lawson
Kevin Tkachuk
Dan Turner
Donnie Macfadyen
Sam Pinder
Dan Parks
Andrew Henderson
Match Substitutions
Off On
Colin Gregor Dan Parks
Off On
Fergus Thomson Scott Lawson
Off On
Justin Va'a Kevin Tkachuk
Off On
Andy Wilson Donnie Macfadyen
Off On
Scott Barrow Andrew Henderson
Off On
Graeme Beveridge Sam Pinder
Off On
Andy Newman Dan Turner
Colin Gregor Penalty
Colin Gregor Penalty
Colin Gregor Penalty
Posted by Alistair on October 14, 2006 09:55 AM | Reply to this comment

So I only got to watch bits of this game on blur-o-vision on the ScrumV live feed. Was the first half midfield as porus as we feared?

Posted by sunday5 on October 14, 2006 10:12 AM | Reply to this comment


Add a comment to this article

If you're replying to an existing comment, please use the 'Reply to this comment' link above the entry. This will display the comments in a way which is far easier for other readers to follow.