Glasgow Warriors | Glasgow Warriors v Leinster Rugby

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

January 15, 2012

Glasgow Warriors 16 - 23 Leinster Rugby

Heineken Cup match played at Firhill on Sunday January 15th 2012 | No comments

Alastair Kellock and his Warriors put up a fine effort but came up just short
Glasgow Warriors’ Heineken Cup qualification hopes were ended after a 23-16 defeat to reigning champions Leinster at Firhill.

The Warriors produced a spirited display in front of a passionate home crowd but were left with a bonus losing point to show for their efforts.

Duncan Weir kicked eleven points for Sean Lineen’s side with Colin Gregor scoring Glasgow’s only try of the game.

Rob Kearney and Isaac Boss scored second-half tries as Leinster finally overcame the Warriors' stern defence, while Jonathan Sexton kicked one penalty and Fergus McFadden two penalties and two conversions.

Flanker Sean O'Brien was sin-binned four minutes from time, but Leinster's defence held firm to seal their progress.

The Warriors entered the match needing to beat the Dubliners and win next Saturday's match at Bath to have any hope of progressing at the expense of the reigning champions.

Leinster had not lost in European competition since December 2010, but were behind after six minutes when Weir successfully converted following a scrum penalty.

Glasgow continued to make inroads into the visitors' territory, but were undone by errors.

Stuart Hogg beat Rob Kearney in an aerial challenge for Weir's up and under, but the ball was lost forward a phase later.

Weir scuffed a drop-goal attempt as Glasgow sought further reward for their early dominance, but Leinster's defence stood firm.

Glasgow captain Alastair Kellock was penalised for not releasing the tackler, but Sexton missed the chance to level the scores after 25 minutes before making amends from halfway three minutes later.

Glasgow continued to spread the ball left and right, but the white wall - led by back-row tyros O'Brien, Shane Jennings and Jamie Heaslip - proved impenetrable.

Hands in the ruck inside the Leinster 22 granted Weir the opportunity to restore the lead and the fly-half made it 6-3.

Kellock went to the blood bin, with Tom Ryder coming on in his place and immediately tasked with defending the Glasgow line from wave after wave of attacks.

Hooker Sean Cronin thought he had found an opening but was stopped short by Richie Gray and Glasgow scrambled clear.

McFadden brought Leinster level at the interval with a penalty after Glasgow killed the ball at a ruck.

Glasgow, with Kellock back in the action, found themselves behind for the first time in the opening moments of the second half.

Hogg hesitated when fielding Sexton's cross-kick and Rob Kearney scooped up the ball to touch down in the corner. McFadden converted.

Weir kicked Glasgow four points behind after Leinster infringed at the breakdown.

The visitors, though, were always dangerous.

An O'Brien burst freed Gordon D'Arcy and McFadden went in pursuit of the line, only to be stopped short.

Glasgow tighthead Ed Kalman was penalised and McFadden booted the visitors into a 16-9 lead entering the final quarter.

Chris Cusiter, Gray and John Barclay were withdrawn in quick succession as Glasgow looked for fresh legs to breach the Leinster defence.

Following a lineout close to the visitors' line, Glasgow kept the ball tight before Colin Gregor, on for Cusiter, wriggled over in the corner.

Weir converted from the touchline to level with 16 minutes remaining.

Leinster responded swiftly, laying siege on the Glasgow line and Boss squeezed through under the posts for a converted score with 10 minutes remaining.

O'Brien was shown a yellow card for infringing on the floor 10 metres out from his own line, reducing Leinster to 14 men for the final four minutes but, despite concerted Glasgow pressure, the Dubliners held firm to advance.

Glasgow head coach Sean Lineen said: "Leinster are not the Heineken Cup champions for nothing.

"I thought we stood toe-to-toe with them for long periods of the game.

"One bit of class from Kearney, try. We had two guys there, but he got the ball. That's just class."

On next week's clash at The Rec, Sean added: "We've got to make sure we go down there with the right mindset because Bath are a very good team.

"It's out of our control now. There are a couple of things that have to happen in a couple of the other groups for us to be involved in the Amlin."

Referee Nigel Owens (Wales)
Attendance 6,479
Jon Welsh
Pat MacArthur
Ed Kalman
Richie Gray
Alastair Kellock
Robert Harley
Chris Fusaro
John Barclay
Chris Cusiter
Duncan Weir
Colin Shaw
Graeme Morrison
Stuart Hogg
Tommy Seymour
Rory Lamont
Dougie Hall
Gordon Reid
Ryan Grant
Tom Ryder
John Beattie
Colin Gregor
Troy Nathan
Scott Wight
Match Substitutions
Off On
Pat MacArthur Dougie Hall
Off On
Chris Cusiter Colin Gregor
Off On
Richie Gray Tom Ryder
Off On
John Barclay John Beattie
Off On
Colin Shaw Troy Nathan
Off On
Duncan Weir Scott Wight
Off On
Ed Kalman Gordon Reid
Duncan Weir Penalty
Duncan Weir Penalty
Duncan Weir Penalty
Colin Gregor Try 
Duncan Weir Conversion

Add a comment to this article