Glasgow Warriors | Munster v Glasgow Warriors

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

December 01, 2012

Munster 31 - 3 Glasgow Warriors

GUINNESS PRO12 match played at Thomond Park on Saturday December 1st 2012 | No comments

Duncan Weir kicked Glasgow's only points
Glasgow Warriors went down to a 31-3 defeat to Munster at Thomond Park this evening.

Glasgow head coach Gregor Townsend told “That was our poorest performance of the season by a distance.

“We dropped off tackles and we stepped off Munster. We said before we came to Ireland that we had to make sure we put pressure on them and we did the opposite.

“We need to make sure now that we use this as motivation to get back to a far higher level performance and show that we’re the kind of side who belongs alongside the best teams in the competition.”

Glasgow's Duncan Weir, back after a two-month injury lay-off, didn't get off to the best of starts at Thomond Park as his kick-off went straight into touch.

But Weir and half-back partner Henry Pyrgos duly settled in and the former kicked the Warriors ahead in the fourth minute, punishing Donncha O'Callaghan for not rolling away.

Munster replied soon after, using quick lineout ball to spring the strong-running Tommy O'Donnell through a gap. He was brought down short of the line, but CJ Stander dived over the top of the ruck to get the try.

Ronan O'Gara's conversion was followed by a solid respond from the Warriors, with DTH van der Merwe going close to scoring in the left corner and Weir missing a drop-goal attempt.

Mistakes from Munster went unpunished as the visitors struggled to add to Weir's opening kick, and it was Rob Penney's men who finished the first half strongly.

The returning James Coughlan passed for O'Donnell to fend off two would-be tacklers and sprint in under the posts for a smashing solo try, converted by O'Gara.

O'Gara added a penalty awarded against Mike Cusack for obstruction, before man of the match Stander turned defence into attack to run in from 80 metres.

The conversion from wide out was no problem to O'Gara but, as the pace and intensity slackened off in the second period, Munster left it late to claim their bonus point.

Glasgow danger man DTH van der Merwe was denied by a Simon Zebo challenge in the corner for the second time.

Territorially, Munster were able to keep the visitors at arm's length for the remainder and, with Glasgow kicking the ball out of a five-metre scrum, the hosts finished the night with a five-point return.

Referee Ian Davies (WRU)
Ryan Grant
Dougie Hall
Michael Cusack
Tim Swinson
Alastair Kellock
Robert Harley
John Barclay
Ryan Wilson
Henry Pyrgos
Duncan Weir
DTH van der Merwe
Peter Horne
Stuart Hogg
Sean Lamont
Peter Murchie
Pat MacArthur
German Araoz
Gordon Reid
James Eddie
Josh Strauss
Nikola Matawalu
Scott Wight
Byron McGuigan
Match Substitutions
Off On
Ryan Wilson Josh Strauss
Off On
Henry Pyrgos Nikola Matawalu
Off On
Duncan Weir Scott Wight
Off On
Dougie Hall Pat MacArthur
Off On
Ryan Grant Gordon Reid
Off On
DTH van der Merwe Byron McGuigan
Off On
Tim Swinson James Eddie
Duncan Weir Penalty