Glasgow Warriors | Glasgow Warriors v Benetton Treviso

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

October 28, 2016

Glasgow Warriors 31 - 14 Benetton Treviso

GUINNESS PRO14 match played at Scotstoun on Friday October 28th 2016 | No comments

Mark Bennett went over for a fine individual try
Warriors eased to a comfortable bonus-point win over Benetton Treviso at Scotstoun this evening.

Glasgow secured the bonus point before half time thanks to tries from Jonny Gray, Mark Bennett, Rory Hughes and Alex Dunbar with Finn Russell converting three.

Hughes scored again after 47 minutes, allowing coach Gregor Townsend to bring on new boys Brian Alainu'uese and Langilangi Haupeakui. The latter had an eventful debut, being shown two yellow cards.

Treviso scored tries in either half, a penalty award in the first before Davide Giazzon crossed in the second. Ian McKinley and Tommaso Allan kicked the conversions.

Within the first five minutes of the match, referee David Wilkinson had twice ruled out touchdowns from Glasgow full-back Stuart Hogg.

But the Warriors took the lead in the ninth minute when co-captain Gray broke a siege of the Italians' line by barging over under the bar.

Four minutes later Olympic Sevens hero Bennett was sent on a looping run, during which he out-foxed two opponents, before scoring an unconverted try in the corner.

As the first quarter ended Treviso turned up the pressure. Lock Marco Fuser made a long run off intercepted ball. As the move climaxed, close to the home line, Glasgow centre Alex Dunbar illegally grabbed a green and white jersey. He was consigned to the sin bin and McKinley kicked the conversion.

But there was no prolonged fight back. After 28 minutes winger Hughes went clear to score his first try on home territory, with Russell converting.

In the final moments of the half the power play of the home side was epitomised by Dunbar breaking through for the bonus point try. With the conversion Russell sent Glasgow in leading 26-7 at the break.

After 47 minutes Hughes score his second try, and with the scoreline comfortable the much-anticipated first appearances of giant lock Alainu'uese United States flanker Haupeakui swiftly followed.

The latter lasted ten minutes before being sin-binned for an illegal tackle, and in the final moments he was shown a red card for a second offence.

Referee David Wilkinson (Ireland)
Attendance 7,251
Man of the Match Rory Hughes
Alex Allan
Pat MacArthur
Sila Puafisi
Tim Swinson
Jonny Gray
Josh Strauss
Simone Favaro
Ryan Wilson
Henry Pyrgos
Finn Russell
Rory Hughes
Alex Dunbar
Mark Bennett
Tommy Seymour
Stuart Hogg
James Malcolm
Djustice Sears-Duru
D'arcy Rae
Brian Alainu'uese
Langilangi Haupeakui
Ali Price
Peter Horne
Lee Jones
Match Substitutions
Off On
Tim Swinson Brian Alainu'uese
Off On
Sila Puafisi D'arcy Rae
Off On
Pat MacArthur James Malcolm
Off On
Henry Pyrgos Ali Price
Off On
Finn Russell Peter Horne
Off On
Simone Favaro Langilangi Haupeakui
Off On
Alex Allan Djustice Sears-Duru
Off On
Stuart Hogg Lee Jones
Jonny Gray Try 
Finn Russell Conversion
Mark Bennett Try 
Rory Hughes Try 
Finn Russell Conversion
Alex Dunbar Try 
Finn Russell Conversion
Rory Hughes Try