Glasgow Warriors | Glasgow Warriors v Edinbrugh

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

May 06, 2017

Glasgow Warriors 18 - 29 Edinburgh

GUINNESS PRO14 match played at Scotstoun on Saturday May 6th 2017 | No comments

Jonny Gray put Warriors ahead at the interval
The Warriors couldn't give Gregor Townsend the winning send-off they wanted as they lost out to Edinburgh at Scotstoun this evening.

The aggregate scores meant the Warriors lifted the 1872 Cup but the defeat, and the manner of it, was a disappointing way to end the season.

Edinburgh were well worth their victory. They looked after the ball much better than Warriors and never seemed stretched in defence.

Warriors secured the 1872 Cup for the first time in three years but almost had it snatched away after Edinburgh produced a fine 29-18 victory at Scotstoun.

Warriors led at the interval but Edinburgh rallied in the second half with tries from Damien Hoyland and Glenn Bryce that trimmed the aggregate score to just two points.

But a great try from Stuart Hogg on his 100th club appearance and captain Jonny Gray's first half try ensured Warriors snatched 1872 Cup away from Edinburgh in the final Guinness PRO12 match.

In front of a sell-out Scotstoun crowd, it appeared Glasgow would have an easy afternoon as Finn Russell converted a penalty after just 90 seconds.

But Edinburgh, who have had a difficult PRO12 season, showed a great deal of resolve in the opening stages.

Duncan Weir traded penalties with Russell as Edinburgh looked to cut the 13 point aggregate deficit from the first leg.

Yet Edinburgh let themselves down again as first Ross Ford and then Sam Hidalgo-Clyne were given yellow cards by referee Mike Adams.

The Warriors eventually broke down a resilient Edinburgh defence with little over 30 seconds on the clock.

A fine move which saw Scott Cummings produce a neat pass to skipper Gray who was able to bundle the ball over the line and give the Glaswegians the halftime advantage.

Lee Jones thought he had given Glasgow the lead again early in the second half after a Weir penalty - but the winger was adjudged to have put his foot in touch by the finest of margins.

Edinburgh gave themselves a glimmer of retaining the Cup after Hoyland powered over the line as he evaded Hogg with neat footwork.

But the game was put beyond the reach of Duncan Hodge's side when Hogg showed his class to break a dogged Edinburgh defensive line.

The ball was passed out to the 24-year-old from the scrum who was able to find a gap and power the ball home.

Bryce's late try, almost on the 80 minute mark, and Weir's brilliant kicking in difficult windy conditions was not quite enough to give the capital city side an unlikely cup triumph.

Referee Mike Adamson (Scotland)
Gordon Reid
Fraser Brown
Zander Fagerson
Scott Cummings
Jonny Gray
Robert Harley
Chris Fusaro
Matt Fagerson
Ali Price
Finn Russell
Lee Jones
Peter Horne
Alex Dunbar
Tommy Seymour
Stuart Hogg
Pat MacArthur
Alex Allan
Sila Puafisi
Tim Swinson
Adam Ashe
Henry Pyrgos
Nick Grigg
Sean Lamont
Finn Russell Penalty
Finn Russell Penalty
Jonny Gray Try 
Stuart Hogg Try 
Finn Russell Conversion