Glasgow Warriors | Leicester v Glasgow Warriors

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

January 21, 2017

Leicester 0 - 43 Glasgow Warriors

Champions Cup match played at Welford Road on Saturday January 21st 2017 | No comments

Jonny Gray's try secured the bonus point
Glasgow Warriors have reached the quarter-final of the Champions Cup for the first time after near-perfect performance at Welford Road this evening.

Glasgow had a bonus point wrapped up by half-time following touchdowns by Tommy Seymour, Mark Bennett and skipper Jonny Gray, while a penalty try plus four Finn Russell conversions and a penalty left Leicester wondering what had hit them.

Ryan Wilson added a fifth try early in the second period, before man-of-the-match Tim Swinson crossed for try number six and Russell finished with 13 points.

Glasgow were under pressure to secure a last-eight spot, but they started brilliantly, denying Leicester possession and going through a remarkable 27 phases of play before securing an opening try.

The visitors showed great composure and patience with ball in hand, and Leicester were powerless to keep them out as Seymour popped up in midfield and broke centre Peter Betham's tackle to claim a try that Russell converted.

Leicester could not get out of their own half, and after Russell kicked a penalty it went from bad to worse for the Tigers during a miserable mine-minute spell.

Full-back Mathew Tait was yellow-carded for a late tackle on Glasgow wing Lee Jones, and the rampant Scottish outfit immediately increased their advantage when French referee Mathieu Raynal awarded them a penalty try that Russell converted after Leicester's forwards illegally collapsed a maul.

Even when Leicester had a chance to score, they failed to deliver as fly-half Freddie Burns missed two penalties in quick succession, before Glasgow scored their third try after cutting Tigers open from deep through slick handling by backs and forwards.

And it was Bennett who finished off a brilliant move by touching down in the corner, before Russell's conversion made it 24-0.

Leicester, though, showed no sign of waking from their nightmare, and imperious Glasgow skipper Gray added a bonus-point try four minutes before the break when Tigers' defence was again smashed to all parts. Russell's conversion took Glasgow past 30 points.

Glasgow were in no mood to rest on their laurels, and they added a fifth try within six minutes of the restart when Wilson powered over from close range and Russell's fifth successful conversion piled more misery on Leicester.

The majority of a crowd just under 20,000 looked on in disbelief as Swinson rounded off yet another spell of Glasgow pressure, and the only question to be answered during the final quarter was whether or not the visitors would hit 50 points.

The half-century did not materialise, but Leicester could not even finish with a full of complement of players after England Six Nations squad member Ellis Genge was sin-binned.

Referee Mathieu Raynal (Fra)
Attendance 19,342
Man of the Match Tim Swinson
Gordon Reid
Fraser Brown
Zander Fagerson
Tim Swinson
Jonny Gray
Robert Harley
Ryan Wilson
Josh Strauss
Ali Price
Finn Russell
Lee Jones
Alex Dunbar
Mark Bennett
Tommy Seymour
Stuart Hogg
Pat MacArthur
Alex Allan
D'arcy Rae
Brian Alainu'uese
Chris Fusaro
Henry Pyrgos
Nick Grigg
Peter Murchie
Match Substitutions
Off On
Ali Price Henry Pyrgos
Off On
Josh Strauss Chris Fusaro
Off On
Fraser Brown Pat MacArthur
Off On
Gordon Reid Alex Allan
Off On
Zander Fagerson D'arcy Rae
Off On
Alex Dunbar Nick Grigg
Off On
Tim Swinson Brian Alainu'uese
Off On
Stuart Hogg Peter Murchie