Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

January 27, 2007

Glasgow Warriors 22 - 3 Cardiff Blues

Celtic League match played at Hughenden on Friday January 26th 2007 | 10 comments

Kevin Tkachuk went over for a great Glasgow try but left the field in pain later on
Glasgow Warriors kick-started their Magners League campaign with a clinical demolition job on top Welsh title contenders Cardiff at Hughenden.

The home side were on a high after clinching their place in the European Challenge Cup quarter-finals, and they kept up the momentum to snuff out the Blues.

Glasgow were the more potent side during the jittery opening exchanges and they broke the deadlock with a superb Colin Gregor penalty.

They pinned back the Blues in their own 22 zone with a series of well-controlled phases, forcing the defence to sneak offside.

Gregor's kick was from wide on the left, but he made it look simple. His glee turned to gloom shortly afterwards, however, when he pushed an easier effort past the near post.

The reprieve sparked Cardiff into life and they tested the home markers with several raids, but they could not turn pressure into precious points. And their frustration was underlined as Nick Macleod was wildly off target with a drop-goal bid from close range.

Having survived the storm, the Warriors came back into the game in the build-up to the interval, but they were unable to add to their account.

They came out all guns blazing after the restart to create an excellent try for hooker Fergus Thomson.

Centre Scott Barrow inflicted the initial damage with a dash through a midfield gap, with Thomson perfectly positioned to take the pop-pass and finish in style. Gregor added the tricky conversion.

The Blues clawed back three points with a Ben Blair penalty when Thomson was guilty of handling in a ruck.

But they were dealt a blow when substitute Mark Lewis was sinbinned just a minute after coming off the bench and it took Glasgow only a matter of seconds to make their numerical advantage count.

Instead of going for goal, Gregor set up a line-out in the corner. Canadian prop Kevin Tkachuk caught the markers off guard by peeling away from the maul to cruise over.

Sam Pinder almost wriggled in for another touchdown, but the ball slipped from his grasp at the last moment.

However, the sub scrum-half made amends five minutes later, Gregor converting to make sure of the win.

Referee George Clancy (Ireland)
Attendance 1562
Man of the Match Another excellent team performance with Colin Shaw and John Barclay to the fore
Kevin Tkachuk
Fergus Thomson
Justin Va'a
Andy Newman
Dan Turner
Steve Swindall
John Barclay
Jon Petrie
Graeme Beveridge
Colin Gregor
Thom Evans
Scott Barrow
Hefin O'Hare
Colin Shaw
Rory Lamont
Eric Milligan
Moray Low
James Eddie
Andy Wilson
Donnie Macfadyen
Sam Pinder
Sean Marsden
Match Substitutions
Off On
Justin Va'a Moray Low
Off On
Steve Swindall Andy Wilson
Off On
Graeme Beveridge Sam Pinder
Off On
John Barclay Donnie Macfadyen
Off On
Dan Turner James Eddie
Off On
Fergus Thomson Eric Milligan
Off On
Kevin Tkachuk Justin Va'a
Off On
Colin Gregor Sean Marsden
Colin Gregor Penalty
Fergus Thomson Try 
Colin Gregor Conversion
Kevin Tkachuk Try 
Sam Pinder Try 
Colin Gregor Conversion
Posted by Hugues on January 27, 2007 01:11 AM | Reply to this comment

What a great win without the Internationals!
There must be a good team spirit at the moment, keep going.
The crowd should INCREASE with performances like this.

Posted by stephen pagan on January 27, 2007 01:14 AM | Reply to this comment

ashley give me aphonr stevie 07835858578

Posted by stephen pagan on January 27, 2007 01:16 AM | Reply to this comment

what a night it was worth remembering ash give me a phone about the race night stevie 07835858578

Posted by Ash on January 27, 2007 02:41 PM | Reply to this comment

Will do Stephen

Posted by Alistair on January 27, 2007 02:19 PM | Reply to this comment

Full credit to Lineen for the half time team talk. Gregor was gash in the firt half but was a man tranformed after the break.

Posted by vicki on January 27, 2007 02:36 PM | Reply to this comment

First half was poor, but we went in ahead at half time, and could have been even further ahead. But the second half was much improved, and more like the performances we have witnessed over the last few weeks and months. This was an important result, as a follow-up from the Challenge Cup games. We are still in the bottom half of the League and should be concentrating on improving this position.

Good performances from John Barclay (hope Frank was paying full attention from the stand) and T-Bone. Also, Moray Low made a big impression when he came on. Those returning to the team from injury looked hungry to impress - especially Colin Shaw. Great to see Donnie back in action.

Posted by bossco85 on January 27, 2007 02:36 PM | Reply to this comment

I really good second half performance from the boys, they fronted up well and got a really good result. I thought Scott Barrow was outstanding in both attack and defence, he really is one of the most talented backs we have. Colin Gregor came onto a game in the second half but we miss Parksy's kicking game. None the less a very good performance and hopefully we can keep building on these results and get a top 5 finish! Well done to the boys again.

Posted by gnasher on January 27, 2007 05:47 PM | Reply to this comment

Don't agree it was a poor first half. Sure handling was poor but the forwards were struggling a bit to control the scrums and lineout which they eventually did. Remember Cardiff were third up to last night and even though both teams were below strength, I thought the first half effort in defending and blunting the challenge was terrific - allowing us to take them apart in the second half. I think that game showed real progress. Last season we would probably have buckled and sunk without trace.

Posted by mediumsizedal on January 27, 2007 10:53 PM | Reply to this comment

It was a poor first half-neither team could get to grips with the game-too many unforced errors. The Glasgow forwards looked disinterested-but the half time oranges must have contained something because it was a different Glasgow in the 2nd half-assertive forwards, good driving & mauling & backs running onto the ball at pace. Thought Petrie made a difference in ball carrying & good to see Donnie back. Evans ran well & Barrow did his usual class act-he really is some player-how Lineen can leave him out I don't know!! Colin Gregor had a very mixed game-he doesn't have the kicking game of Parks-but overall a great victory-not too often Glasgow beat Cardiff. The side now are much better than earlier in the season-I was really pessimistic at one stage, but the team spirit & resiliance are much better. I don't think Glasgow would have won this game last season. Lets hope the squad stays together and continues to improve next season. Only 3 home games left-can we win them all??

Posted by sunday5 on January 28, 2007 03:55 PM | Reply to this comment

Any news on T-bones injury?

Add a comment to this article

If you're replying to an existing comment, please use the 'Reply to this comment' link above the entry. This will display the comments in a way which is far easier for other readers to follow.