Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

September 26, 2008

Glasgow Warriors 34 - 20 Llanelli Scarlets

Celtic League match played at Firhill on Friday September 26th 2008 | 3 comments

Thom led the charge for Glasgow
Glasgow bounced back from two defeats to beat Scarlets in an exciting performance in front of a delighted Firhill crowd.

Another dose of gloom had looked on the cards as Glasgow made a disastrous start but winger Thom Evans lit up Firhill with a marvellous two-try display which propelled them to a crucial bonus point.

Scarlets - determined to make amends for their hammering by Edinburgh last weekend - made a stirring start and capitalised on early pressure by surging in front after only four minutes.

They patiently amassed a series of phases before Lions playmaker Stephen Jones ducked inside Moray Low to reach the line.

Gradually Glasgow battled their way back into the match only to squander a golden opportunity to level matters.

A thrilling dash by Lome Fa'atau and Thom Evans set up full-back Bernie Stortoni 30 metres out but indecision allowed the Scarlets to backtrack and snuff out the danger.

And there was a further blow for the Warriors midway through the half as the visitors grabbed their second touchdown.

Fa'tau was robbed just inside his own half, presenting Mark Jones with a cruise to the line. Stephen Jones added the conversion to stretch the gap to 10.

Dan Parks eased some of the jitters by slotting a simple penalty and that was the cue for Glasgow to move into gear at last.

The ball was flashed through at least six pairs of hands before skipper Ally Kellock sent Thom skidding over.

They should have broken through again on the half hour but Fa'atau lost possession.

Warriors stepped up the pace in the build up to the break, with Johnnie Beattie and Opeta Palepoi going close.

However, the stage was left clear for John Barclay to grab a well-deserved try from close quarters to put the home side in front.

Even better was to come as Glasgow created a wonderful score for hooker Dougie Hall.

Fa'atau made up for his earlier slips by leaving the Scarlets defence for dead with a pin-point chip-and-chase before sending Hall clear with a perfectly-delivered pass.

Parks converted to provide another injection of confidence.

They made sure of the precious bonus point with yet another sizzling try by Evans in the wake of a break by brother Max.

Scarlets refused to buckle and Mark Jones notched his second to give them a glimmer of hope.

Stephen Jones added a penalty, but substitute Colin Gregor had the last word with a fifth try for Glasgow, goaled by Parks.

Match report in The Herald

Match report in The Scotsman

It was good to see the team come back out to acknowledge the supporters after applauding the Scarlets off the pitch - and well done to the players who came over to sign autographs for the young fans. It was a nice touch to end a great night.

Referee George Clancy (IRFU)
Attendance 2,450
Man of the Match Magners League MOTM was Max Evans and Sponsor's MOTM was Dan Parks but John Beattie can't have been too far behind.
Justin Va'a
Dougie Hall
Moray Low
Opeta Palepoi
Alastair Kellock
Kelly Brown
John Barclay
John Beattie
Mark McMillan
Dan Parks
Thom Evans
Graeme Morrison
Max Evans
Lome Fa'atau
Bernardo Stortoni
Kevin Tkachuk
Ed Kalman
Dan Turner
Steve Swindall
Colin Gregor
Andrew Henderson
Ruaridh Jackson
Match Substitutions
Off On
Mark McMillan Colin Gregor
Off On
Kelly Brown Steve Swindall
Off On
Justin Va'a Kevin Tkachuk
Off On
Opeta Palepoi Dan Turner
Off On
Moray Low Ed Kalman
Dan Parks Penalty
Thom Evans Try 
John Barclay Try 
Dougie Hall Try 
Dan Parks Conversion
Thom Evans Try 
Dan Parks Conversion
Colin Gregor Try 
Dan Parks Conversion
Posted by Osama Bin Hidin on September 26, 2008 11:25 PM | Reply to this comment

Fanny tastic!!!!!!! Just been out on the razz in Stoke Newington, London and to come home, dragged too early by my bird and her pal fae Edinburgh to see this result on wibbly wobbly web just makes my glass of port, well, you know, slip nicely - off to recharge the glass. CMOAN TAE FCK GLASGOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by weebaw on September 27, 2008 10:47 AM | Reply to this comment

That was a great game.Credit to both teams and the best ref I've seen for years.

If only rugby could be played like that all the time;and no interminable mauls!McGeechan is talking balderdash.

Stortoni should have been M O M

Posted by Scott on September 27, 2008 02:23 PM | Reply to this comment

What is the craic wi this attendance bollox - less than 2.5K? The stand was almost full - surely? The Jackie Husband stand is meant to have a capacity of 6, what's the story? Are we on a tax dodge or something?

Add a comment to this article

If you're replying to an existing comment, please use the 'Reply to this comment' link above the entry. This will display the comments in a way which is far easier for other readers to follow.