Glasgow Warriors | Glasgow Warriors v Connacht

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

May 15, 2009

Glasgow Warriors 30 - 9 Connacht

GUINNESS PRO12 match played at Firhill on Friday May 15th 2009 | 3 comments

Colin Shaw grabbed Glasgow's first try
Glasgow Warriors grabbed the bonus point win they were hoping to achieve tonight in the final game of the 2008/09 Magners League campaign.

The best Glasgow can hope for is a seventh place finish in the table and that will frustrate head coach Sean Lineen after a promising start to the campaign.

An injury-hit Glasgow side held the upper hand during the jittery opening period but they were unable to turn their superiority into a significant points advantage.

Two minutes into the half, scrum-half Colin Gregor stepped up to the mark and slotted his first penalty opportunity.

It took just three minutes for Connacht stand-off Ian Keatley to cancel Gregor’s attempt. A further attempt at goal, this one for the lead, was thwarted as his attempt went wide of the mark.

As Glasgow pounded the Connacht line, centre Graeme Morrison chipped through for Colin Shaw. Fullback Nathan Troy padded the ball into touch and was subsequently binned for the offence.

With the fullback relieved of his duties for ten minutes, the ball was worked left and Lome Fa’atau sent a neat grubber through the Connacht defence. Colin Shaw had the gas to beat his opposite man to the ball and touched down.

Two further Connacht penalties from Keatley gave Connacht the edge at the break.

Following a host of decision-making errors, Ruaridh Jackson was substituted at half-time and Colin Gregor moved into the stand-off berth. Mark McMillan came on to cover scrum-half.

Keatley missed a penalty strike to stretch Connacht’s lead, but it was Gregor who snatched the initiative four minutes later with a timely kick at goal.

A previously dreadful contest was suddenly lit up midway through the half thanks to some inspired play from O'Hare.

The centre, who had been lively all night, marked the extension of his Glasgow contract by swerving past four opponents before squeezing over for a remarkable touchdown. Gregor missed the conversion.

As the game crept into injury time, Glasgow found their third score from a five-metre scrum. Moray Low picked up and dived over. Gregor converted.

The bonus point was all that was left on Glasgow’s shopping list. A terrific break from replacement hooker Eric Milligan unleashed O’Hare who was never in any doubt about where he was going. He touched down between the posts to set up an easy conversion for Gregor who slotted it.

Referee Nigel Owens(WRU)
Attendance 1851
Kevin Tkachuk
Pat MacArthur
Moray Low
Richie Gray
Alastair Kellock
James Eddie
Calum Forrester
Kelly Brown
Colin Gregor
Ruaridh Jackson
Colin Shaw
Graeme Morrison
Hefin O'Hare
Lome Fa'atau
Bernardo Stortoni
Eric Milligan
Jon Welsh
Dan Turner
Steve Swindall
Mark McMillan
Peter Horne
Jose Maria Nunez Piossek
Match Substitutions
Off On
Ruaridh Jackson Mark McMillan
Off On
Alastair Kellock Dan Turner
Off On
James Eddie Steve Swindall
Off On
Pat MacArthur Eric Milligan
Off On
Colin Shaw Jose Maria Nunez Piossek
Off On
Moray Low Jon Welsh
Off On
Graeme Morrison Peter Horne
Colin Gregor Penalty
Colin Shaw Try 
Colin Gregor Penalty
Hefin O'Hare Try 
Moray Low Try 
Colin Gregor Conversion
Hefin O'Hare Try 
Colin Gregor Conversion
Posted by s153 on May 16, 2009 05:20 PM | Reply to this comment

well done shawzy, great to see a scottish player scoring a try. Now Mr Lineen, please give him a fair chance next season. Don't overlook him and keep playing your underperforming favourites!

Posted by Tom on May 16, 2009 06:48 PM | Reply to this comment

Was the instructions to kick at every opportunity. It certainly seemed that way, but what a difference when they started to throw the ball around in the second half. I was one of the many disappointed by half time, but got quite excited in the last quarter. Thank you Glasgow for ending on a reasonable high.

Posted by goose on May 16, 2009 11:34 PM | Reply to this comment

very surprised that Andy Henderson was not included in the team, even as a sub, for one last run out in a glasgow shirt. shame. Lineen should've given him the farewell he deserves after his years of service for glasgow.

Add a comment to this article

If you're replying to an existing comment, please use the 'Reply to this comment' link above the entry. This will display the comments in a way which is far easier for other readers to follow.