Glasgow Warriors | Glasgow Warriors v Edinburgh Rugby

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

December 27, 2014

Glasgow Warriors 16 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

GUINNESS PRO12 match played at Scotstoun on Saturday December 27th 2014 | No comments

Josh Strauss went over for the Glasgow try
Glasgow Warriors climbed back to the top of the PRO12 table - at least for a few hours- after claiming a 16-6 victory over Edinburgh at Scotstoun.

The margin of the win means that all is still to play for as to the destiny of the 1872 Cup when the teams meet again next Friday at Murrayfield.

Edinburgh were unable to take advantage of early position, with Sam Hidalgo-Clyne's early penalty cancelled out by Duncan Weir.

Glasgow finished the half stronger to lead 13-3 at the turn thanks to a try by Josh Strauss to finish the best move of the game with Weir converting.

In the second half sub Tom Heathcote pulling back three points for Edinburgh before Weir's second penalty ensured Edinburgh did not get a losing bonus point.

Glasgow kicked off on bright dry December afternoon but it was Edinburgh that took first advantage of the conditions with Hidalgo-Clyne kicking a penalty in just the fifth minute.

Seven minutes later Glasgow drew level with a penalty from Weir, with the position set-up after Glasgow had taken a scrum ball against the head.

Around the end of the first quarter Edinburgh made a mess of several hopeful positions. Twice they were turned over, once an attempt at a driving line out was messed up, and there was a penalty conceded at a scrum.

Glasgow finally pressurised the Edinburgh line just before the half hour mark, but ill discipline lead to a penalty for the visitors, who failed to find touch.

Glasgow ran the possession back, won a penalty, and Weir's success put them ahead.

In the 37th minute Glasgow took the lead, fittingly with the first and only exciting move of the half.

Sean Lamont collected Weir's kick from hand on the right wing, Pete Horne linked up and number eight Josh Strauss ran in the try whose conversion by Weir allowed Glasgow to go in leading 13-3.

Twelve minutes into the second half, with the sun away and the temperature dropping, Edinburgh pulled back three points with a penalty from replacement Tom Heathcote.

The half then reverted to the tempo from the first period with both sides cancelling each other out in midfield, with the sell-out crowd fell very quiet.

They came to life, however, in the 66th minute when Glasgow broke down the left wing with winger DTH van der Merwe and substitute Niko Matawalu exchanging passes but the latter's try was ruled out by referee George Clancey on the advice of touch judge David Changleng.

However Glasgow remained on the attack with Weir's 69th minute penalty opening the points gap again to 10.

The game finished with Edinburgh on the defensive and Weir missing his first kick of the afternoon.

Referee George Clancy (Ireland)
Attendance 6,945
Man of the Match Alastair Kellock
Ryan Grant
Pat MacArthur
Euan Murray
Tim Swinson
Alastair Kellock
Ryan Wilson
Robert Harley
Josh Strauss
Henry Pyrgos
Duncan Weir
DTH van der Merwe
Peter Horne
Alex Dunbar
Sean Lamont
Stuart Hogg
Dougie Hall
Alex Allan
Jon Welsh
Leone Nakarawa
Tyrone Holmes
Nikola Matawalu
Richie Vernon
Sean Maitland
Duncan Weir Penalty
Duncan Weir Penalty
Josh Strauss Try 
Duncan Weir Conversion
Duncan Weir Penalty