Glasgow Warriors | Leinster v Glasgow Warriors

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

March 27, 2015

Leinster 34 - 34 Glasgow Warriors

GUINNESS PRO14 match played at RDS on Friday March 27th 2015 | No comments

Richie Vernon went over for Glasgow's second try
Glasgow Warriors and Leinster served up a thrilling 34-34 draw in this evening's PRO12 match at the RDS.

Warriors led 27-7 at the interval but they had to fight back from a poor start to the second half to level the shoreline and leave Dublin with three valuable points.

It took a mere seven minutes for Glasgow to storm into a lead, as Richie Vernon's pass allowed Stuart Hogg to sneak under the posts past the Leinster defence. Peter Horne added the extras.

That lead was extended when Horne sent through a penalty, as Leinster were left shellshocked by the quick start from the Warriors.

The hosts soon came back in search of getting their first points of the evening, though the Warriors held their opponents up tremendously on their own try line, eventually clearing the huge mount of pressure.

But Leinster did come into the game and had their first points after a heap of pressure. Fergus McFadden was the man who eventually made that pressure count, the trusty Ian Madigan kicking through to reduce the gap.

The Warriors grabbed their second try in response, and though it had to be checked by the TMO, Richie Vernon was able to go through a number of bodies before being able to ground the ball, Horne converting.

A third came before the break for the visitors, Mark Bennett breaking and beating a host of Leinster men before going over with Horne converting.

Bennett kicked through a late penalty to stretch that half time lead to 20 points, going into the break 27-7 up.

Leinster came out of half-time at an almighty speed, Isaac Boss hunting down an attempted clearance from Glenn Bryce, before going on for a second try, in a game that still threatened many more points.

Madigan, who converted that effort, kicked three more as Glasgow's lead was reduced to ten points.

Nikola Matawalu was issued with a yellow card, and in the time that he was off the field, Leinster had another try.

Jordi Murphy got it for the Dublin club, and when Madigan converted an immense last half an hour was set up.

Glasgow, who failed to really leave the blocks in the opening exchanges of the second period, conceded a third try in that time. Boss was the man who again claimed it, putting his side into the lead in the process and turning over a big half-time deficit.

Madigan's conversion put the Leinster lead up to four. Again he struck with a penalty, as Leinster moved towards what at half-time looked a very unlikely victory.

But the final ten minutes were made an intense affair as Glasgow did finally claim their first try of the half. It came from Glenn Bryce, who grabbed his first for the club right in the corner and the conversion levelled matters.

Both sides battled for the victory, and it could have gone either way, but despite a late push from Glasgow, they were unable to go over and an incredible tie at the RDS Arena finished 34-34.

Referee Nigel Owens (Wales)
Man of the Match
Alex Allan
Fraser Brown
Zander Fagerson
Tim Swinson
Alastair Kellock
Robert Harley
Chris Fusaro
Josh Strauss
Nikola Matawalu
Peter Horne
DTH van der Merwe
Richie Vernon
Mark Bennett
Tommy Seymour
Stuart Hogg
Pat MacArthur
Jerry Yanuyanutawa
Michael Cusack
Jonny Gray
Adam Ashe
Henry Pyrgos
Connor Braid
Glenn Bryce
Match Substitutions
Off On
Zander Fagerson Michael Cusack
Off On
Stuart Hogg Glenn Bryce
Off On
Richie Vernon Connor Braid
Off On
Chris Fusaro Pat MacArthur
Off On
Alastair Kellock Jonny Gray
Off On
Fraser Brown Adam Ashe
Off On
Alex Allan Jerry Yanuyanutawa
Off On
Nikola Matawalu Henry Pyrgos
Stuart Hogg Try 
Peter Horne Conversion
Peter Horne Penalty
Richie Vernon Try 
Peter Horne Conversion
Mark Bennett Try 
Peter Horne Conversion
Mark Bennett Penalty
Glenn Bryce Try 
Peter Horne Conversion