Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

December 14, 2008

Glasgow Warriors 19 - 25 Bath

Heineken Cup match played at Firhill on Sunday December 14th 2008 | No comments

Colin Gregor grabbed Glasgow's try
Glasgow suffered another dose of European misery as Bath completed a narrow Heineken Cup double over the Warriors.

Glasgow were dealt a blow in the build-up to the kick-off when Thom Evans was forced out of the tie with an ankle injury.

Evans had bagged a hat-trick of tries to earn the man-of-the-match prize against Bath at The Rec.

His late withdrawal resulted in a call-up for Hefin O'Hare, with new Argentinian recruit Jose Maria Nunez Piossek filling the bench berth.

The action was disjointed in the opening sparring session with the recalled Scotland playmaker Dan Parks swapping penalties with opposite number Butch James.

And James was to remain in the spotlight for varying reasons over the following few minutes.

First, the South African World Cup hero unleashed a perfectly-weighted cross-kick for Banahan to claim the first touchdown.

James was wide with the angled conversion - then committed a fearful blunder to present Glasgow with a try at the other end.

He lost control when under no significant pressure, allowing Colin Gregor to pounce from close quarters.

The scrum-half hacked the ball over the line and followed up to get the vital touch and the home fans roared their approval as Parks banged over the conversion to put his team ahead.

Even better was to come for the Warriors when Parks confidently added a penalty.

They had to change their formation on the half-hour mark when Piossek replaced winger Lome Fa'atau, who had taken a knock.

Both teams carved out further try chances in the approach to the break, but defences were on top.

Bath looked more spirited after the restart and it was no surprise when they created a fine second score.

Following a series of patient and well-controlled phases, centre Shaun Berne was in the right place at the right time to finish in style and tie the contest.

But Parks immediately reclaimed the advantage for the Warriors with his third penalty.

As in last weekend's tussle, play was flowing from end to end and Bath seized the initiative again midway through the half through the bulky Banahan.

But a high challenge by James on Max Evans gave sub Ruaridh Jackson the penalty.

Then came the moment the Glasgow fans were fearing as Joe Maddock skidded over for the clincher - James finding his boot form to land the goal.

Referee Christophe Berdos (France)
Attendance 3,306
Man of the Match John Barclay
Justin Va'a
Fergus Thomson
Moray Low
Tim Barker
Dan Turner
Kelly Brown
John Barclay
John Beattie
Colin Gregor
Dan Parks
Hefin O'Hare
Andrew Henderson
Max Evans
Lome Fa'atau
Bernardo Stortoni
Eric Milligan
Kevin Tkachuk
Opeta Palepoi
Calum Forrester
Sam Pinder
Ruaridh Jackson
Jose Maria Nunez Piossek
Match Substitutions
Off On
Lome Fa'atau Jose Maria Nunez Piossek
Off On
Kevin Tkachuk Moray Low
Off On
Fergus Thomson Eric Milligan
Off On
Colin Gregor Sam Pinder
Off On
Dan Parks Ruaridh Jackson
Off On
Tim Barker Opeta Palepoi
Off On
John Beattie Calum Forrester
Dan Parks Penalty
Colin Gregor Try 
Dan Parks Conversion
Dan Parks Penalty
Dan Parks Penalty
Ruaridh Jackson Penalty

Add a comment to this article