Glasgow Warriors | Leinster v Glasgow Warriors

Got an opinion?
Discuss this article in the comments section or register with the forum.

Search this site

May 07, 2011

Leinster 38 - 3 Glasgow Warriors

GUINNESS PRO12 match played at Royal Dublin Society on Friday May 6th 2011 | No comments

Glasgow lost 12 points during Peter Murchie's sin-binning
Glasgow Warriors brought the curtain down on a poor season with a 38-3 defeat to Leinster the RDS.

Leinster ran four tries past the Warriors in the closing 25 minutes to gain home advantage in next weekend's Magners League semi-finals.

Glasgow were only 6-3 adrift at half-time, but tries from Shane Horgan, Gordon D'Arcy, Dominic Ryan and Kevin McLaughlin gave Leinster a resounding bonus point win.

Fergus McFadden kicked 18 points, with Glasgow out-half Duncan Weir landing a seventh minute penalty for the visitors.

The Warriors enjoyed the best of the early territory, Chris Cusiter working his pack through the phases and they were rewarded with a long range penalty strike from Weir.

Sean Lineen's side came with a 'nothing to lose' attitude and 18-year-old debutant centre Mark Bennett was certainly not overawed, bursting through the Leinster defence in the 13th minute.

Tom Ryder, Richie Vernon and Johnnie Beattie led the charge up front, the Glasgow pack keeping their Leinster counterparts in check during the first quarter hour.

A classy counter attack from Isa Nacewa, the Irish Players' Player of the Year, sparked Leinster into life and Ian Madigan probed with the boot, keeping the Scots pinned back in their half.

From a scrum in the 22, McLaughlin was held up close to the posts. But Ryder conceded a penalty for killing the ball and McFadden tapped over the simple shot.

Weir was off target with a monster attempt from near the main stand, on the half hour mark, and Glasgow had a narrow escape when Horgan looked to have scored in the right corner.

The big Leinster winger, having linked with Nacewa, avoided an initial challenge from DTH van der Merwe, but television match official Peter Ferguson ruled that he had a foot in touch when grounding the ball.

Leinster gained some consolation in the form of a 35 metre penalty from McFadden and Weir, with the last kick of the half, was narrowly wide from a difficult position to the right of the posts.

Beattie was penalised for holding on after trying to break from a scrum, allowing McFadden to kick the opening points of the second half.

Then came the game's turning point when Glasgow full-back Peter Murchie was sin-binned for coming in on the wrong side of a ruck. During his time off the pitch, Leinster scored 15 points.

McFadden kicked his third penalty and shortly afterwards, Madigan's high kick to the right was gobbled up by Horgan who managed to scramble over the line past van der Merwe.

McFadden added the extras to D'Arcy's 58th-minute touchdown, following a powerful burst from stand-in captain Jamie Heaslip. Glasgow stayed competitive, but Leinster had more in the tank.

Replacement David Kearney delighted the home crowd with two solo runs. His first attack almost led to a try for Heaslip. The second did, Ryan pouncing on a loose ball that Glasgow failed to deal with.

McFadden converted and did likewise after McLaughlin stormed through a couple of tackles and stretched over for Leinster's bonus point try.

Referee James Jones (Wales)
Ryan Grant
Fergus Thomson
Moray Low
Aly Muldowney
Tom Ryder
James Eddie
Richie Vernon
John Beattie
Chris Cusiter
Duncan Weir
DTH van der Merwe
Graeme Morrison
Mark Bennett
Federico Aramburu
Peter Murchie
Dougie Hall
Jon Welsh
Kevin Tkachuk
Robert Harley
Chris Fusaro
Colin Gregor
Ruaridh Jackson
Peter Horne
Match Substitutions
Off On
Federico Aramburu Peter Horne
Off On
Duncan Weir Ruaridh Jackson
Off On
Ryan Grant Jon Welsh
Off On
Richie Vernon Chris Fusaro
Off On
Aly Muldowney Robert Harley
Off On
Fergus Thomson Dougie Hall
Off On
Kevin Tkachuk Moray Low
Off On
Chris Cusiter Colin Gregor
Duncan Weir Penalty

Add a comment to this article